Subject: Groups - Action Item "ECF 4.01 - Signature References" added

Action Item Subject: ECF 4.01 - Signature References
Item Number: #0055

Description
The ECF Core Specification Section 1.3.3 ?W3C XML-Signature Syntax and Processing? references the W3C XML Signature Syntax and Processing ([XMLSIG]) specification along with the ?ECF 4.0 XML Document Signature Profile?.

The section poses two issues that merit consideration:
o The ECF Core Specification does not have a definitive reference/link to the ?ECF 4.0 XML Document Signature Profile?.

The section commingles the signing of SOAP-based message transports with the signing of an individual document component. Since the two signature concepts are implemented for different purposes, combining the discussion into a single paragraph is confusing for the reader.
? The ECF Core Specification would be more straightforward and easier for a reader to read/developer to implement, if the document:
o provided a definitive reference to the ECF XML Signature Document Signature Profile with the correct version (3.0).
o clarified the intent, purpose and role(s) of the two digital signature conventions: W3C XML Signature Syntax and Processing and the ECF XML Signature Document Signature Profile.

Owner: Mr. James Cabral
Due Date: 11 Mar 2014

Comments
Mr. James Cabral 2014-03-10 21:58 UTC
We can do a clarification of this. It has been an ongoing point of confusion that they need to use the 3.0 version. Rather than dealing with this repeatedly, Gary suggested it might be easier to update this to a 4.0 version. There is possibility of causing confusion in the framework if we change it now.
We will just create a reference in the specification document pointing to the 3.0 version rather than just updating it to adjust the version.