Subject: ABA and PRIA documents

I am enclosing a winzip file containing ABA archived documents of eNotary efforts and the latest PRIA DTD for notarized documents.

The viewer for the ABA documents is obtainable via download at http://www.scansoft.com/paperport/viewers/.

I am also appending to this message a cross posting to the digital signature services technical committee list from Greg Alvord, who is involved with the MISMO effort, which is related to PRIA. They are considering authentication and notarization architectures which parallel our own and apply to the mortgage industry.

I anticipate they we may be able to assist PRIA et al from within OASIS. Any thoughts or observations are greatly appreciated. Thanks and best regards.

Appended message follows

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Alvord [mailto:galvord@attglobal.net]
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2003 4:49 AM
Subject: RE: [dss] Groups - dss-requirements-1.0-draft-02.doc uploaded

MISMO, Mortgage Industry Standards Maintenance Organization has a 1.0
specification for eMortgages called SMARTDOCS.

The over all structure is three fold <DATA/><MAP/><VIEW/>.  <VIEW/> content is the XHTML presentation the borrower sees.  <DATA/> contains ... well data. <MAP/> is composed of a collection of <ARC/> items that reference an ID in the data section and on in the XHTML. A transform may be required, for example a loan amount of $100,000 may need to be expressed in the XHTML as "One Hundred Thousand Dollars and no cents" in order to meet the legal requirements.

Signatures are applies to this structure:
1. The document provider creates a manifest of the text sections of the
XHTML and signs it to provide assurance that the document text has not been altered.
2. After the organization that "fills in" the form finishes a manifest and signature are created covering the data items that are now "frozen", their arcs, and the XHTML sections presenting the data.
3. The borrower's electronic (not necessarily digital) signature is added as well and any "open" last minute data, arc and view sections. Another manifest and digital signature is applied using the certificate of the "closing agent".  This may, for example, include, an image of the borrower's signature.
4. The document travels to a recording entity (usually a county) where the recording data filled in and a signature manifest of the recorders data, and the other signatures is signed with the certificate of the recoding entities.

There are additional steps along the way of an eMortgage. This scheme was originally developed by Fannie Mae and is becoming the mortgage industry standard.

I think this is an example of the kind of transforms and signing Gregor is referring to. It does result in the data, the transforms and the resultant XHTML being signed.

eNotary, PRIA, ABA.zip