Subject: Authentication of electronic documents

There was a little discussion today as it concerns the apostille (and eApostille) and the need for authenticating college transcripts going out of the country.

Here are some notes from a June 14th meeting that I attended in Pennsylvania:

Marc L. Aronson

From:    Marlene Miller

Sent:     Wednesday, June 14, 2006 4:45 PM

To:        Marc L. Aronson

Subject:       RE: UNEDITED UNEDITED UNEDITED Comments by R. Hansberger at PRODA meeting a few minutes ago.

>Dr. James Wager, Penn State; Rich hopes to meet with them concerning Penn State’s electronic student transcripts. He wants to meet with them so that they can talk about transmitting transcripts to foreign universities via an apostille.<

I just spoke to Penn State Registrar’s Office. They are using PDFs with what she said was an “embedded signature,” and said they have an application that steps them through the process - it sounded like someone had laid a user interface over the PDF signing function Lori showed us to make it more user-friendly and error-free. She gave me the name and number of the techie, Sean Wagner, if I wanted details. This is the GeoTrust project I pinged you on last week. Mike Salaj has a brother at Penn State McKeesport, so he showed me the process for viewing and ordering a transcript online.

Transcripts don’t have to be notarized, so I wasn’t going to pursue it any further or go see how it’s done. Do you want me to do more on this?