Subject: Re: [office-collab] WD04 comments [1 Svante]

Thanks Robin for doing the poll.
I will start writing on comments after I have passed two deadlines next Tuesdays.

Best regards,
Svante

On 11.01.2012 12:21, Robin LaFontaine wrote:
Svante commented as follows:

    1) Insufficient specification of the minimum set of functionality to be support ODF interoperability

    2) Compatibility for collaboration has not been provided, although it would be possible and is the next step of the SC

Please let me know what changes you would like to see.

Regarding (1), the document is not intended to be a specification, so I am unclear about your comment.

Perhaps the statement in 4 Scope, "This expansion includes not only the areas within ODF but also the need for collaboration." could be expanded if you can provide some text.

Section 6 includes this:
"The focus of both ECT and GCT is on change tracking rather than collaborative editing. Recently one member of the SC has been looking in more detail at collaborative editing based on the Google wave methodology. A major difference between this approach and ECT/GCT change tracking is that the edits are represented in a document separate from the original document. This separate document specifies Operational Transformations (OT), each of which has an effect on the original document. This has advantages in some, though not all, applications. Work is ongoing and no specification for this has yet been presented to the SC for discussion. Initial feedback shows that GCT is proving useful as a way of specifying the effect of an OT, and it is possible that the external change document could be related in a formal way to a GCT representation. However, this is not yet worked out in any detail. "

You mentioned in the call recent advances in this area and so perhaps something needs to be added here.

As mentioned in the call, please provide this within two weeks so we can update the document.

Robin

Robin La Fontaine, Director, DeltaXML Ltd  "Experts in information change"
T: +44 1684 592 144  E: robin.lafontaine@deltaxml.com
http://www.deltaxml.com
Registered in England 02528681 Reg. Office: Monsell House, WR8 0QN, UK
--------------------------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe, e-mail: office-collab-unsubscribe@lists.oasis-open.org For additional commands, e-mail: office-collab-help@lists.oasis-open.org