Subject: Re: [office-comment] Systematic faults in normative presentationof content models (ODF 1.2 CD01)

Alex,

Sorry, I have been offline for several days due to illness.

Alex Brown wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> The presentation of elements (currently the monospaced text on a
> peach-coloured background) within ODF 1.2 CD01 is a big step backward
> from previous versions, and needs to be revisited.

If you had stopped to consider the content of the material in question
you would have realized that it is in fact *is*

"part-normalized to eliminate opaque patterns and bring actual element
and attribute declarations to the fore. Ideally each mentioned
element/attribute name should then be hyperlinked to its corresponding
description in the spec."

I agree that the mandatory/optional nature of the models should be
reflected in the auto-generated language and that plus the nature of
auto-generated value lists for attributes with enumerated values is
already underway.

Since the RELAX NG schema will be a normative part of the standard, I
fail to see why we should include a form of it here. A "part-normalized"
form is going to be as long as what you complain about here, assuming we
insert the hyperlinked references. Moreover, the standard would then
fact the objection that it was *duplicating normative content.* An
objection many would find persuasive. As it stands, we are simply
providing relevant cross-references that aid in understanding a
particular element or attribute.

Recall that there are issues with the structure of the schema that are
directly related to its early editorial use and I would prefer to avoid
those in the future. Structures for schema authoring should facilitate
that task and no other.

Hope you are at the start of a great week!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau
patrick@durusau.net