Subject: Re: [office-formula] Semantics

In my example, where "2006" is a label, the average user may not
think of it as a number. How can we determine that? Text (even that
which looks like a number) may be left justified and numbers right.

I think the definition of how user input is converted into storage
format is not something we are doing here. That is UI. (Are we
defining how popup calculator pads work on pen-based systems?) The
values are already in a formula. We are talking about formula
interchange and we can be stricter about formatting values in a way
that shows the type. After all, our cell reference format is almost
certainly not the one we'll show to users.

Auto conversion is tough. As things proliferate (date formats,
"Q1'2006", colors, etc.) you run into problems where you have to
choose between 6 of one or half a dozen of the other - there is no
"right" answer.

COUNT and COUNTA do different, common operations for two different
types of uses of a list of data. One is good for data that doesn't
distinguish between type, just presence or not (apartment number --
which can include "109a"), and the other is used in math
(SUM(range)/COUNT(range)). I think we will run into a variety of such
things as we think about data types.

I find it strange that the OpenFormula spec has text but not rich
text. How are we handling that? Any modern product really needs to
deal with that. What about HTML or a DOM fragment? Those are good
things for thinking about making this more future-proof as well as
how to handle old things like numbers and text.

To this and Rob's comment about goals: I think a major use of ODF
will be in the interchange of subset products -- simple list
managers, rich text in the middle of an application that does other
things, etc. We have to be careful about assuming the user's model of
the data nor the restrictions put on the UI. The ODF spec, as I
recall, allows quite complex tables, more so than most simple data
managers or many spreadsheets. Not everything will convert well. We
need to make it easy for the lesser products to gracefully degrade
and indicate where the deficiency is. Stronger typing helps here. I
makes it easier to flag problems (and test). Testing for "I don't
know about complex" is a lot easier than testing all the conversion options.

-DanB