Subject: Re: [office-formula] Semantics

Hi Tomas,

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 14:43:34 +0100, Tomas Mecir wrote:

> The problem with COUNT/COUNTA: what if a cell contains a string that
> can be converted to a number ? Say, "3". What then ? With this
> approach, COUNT doesn't include this, but your average user will say,
> but it's a number.

I think all spreadsheet applications handle this the same: SUM, COUNT,
AVERAGE, and all the like, get passed what OpenFormula called
a NumberSequence. This by definition ignores string cell content, see
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/office-formula/download.php/16826/openformula-spec-20060221.html#Conversion_to_NumberSequence

> Another question is, do we even WANT to delve into problems like this

We HAVE TO.

> ? Or shall we simply choose the approach which is currently used most

We'd then end up with a definition of "how does it the one application
of the big player". Which is not our goal, though will be congruent in
many but not all cases.

> I think this introduces the problem of our goal: shall we design a
> spec based on real spreadsheets, or also put in new/changed things, if
> we feel that it makes sense ?

Based on real applications, with changes only when and where necessary
for clear benefits.