Subject: Handling TODOs/TBDs - a proposal

We have several TODOs/TBDs left.  I'm not sure how to assign them to various folks.  Here's a proposed way of working - does anyone have a better idea?

Everyone who can, please search for TODO/TBDs, looking for something you can handle (random locations would actually be good, more likely we'd end up working different things).  Figure out what SHOULD be done, and post to the mailing list how you propose to resolve it (in general, not word-by-word) - and why.  Use a VERY SPECIFIC subject line, and somewhere in the post tell us which TODO/TBD you're addressing.  Whoever first posts on the TODO item has first dibs on making the changes.  Obviously, if there are quick objections, we'll discuss it.

If there aren't quick objections, e.g., within 24 hours, write up the changes.  But this time, TURN ON TRACK CHANGES before making any changes.  Unlike before, when we were just replacing functions wholesale, we're now making specific text changes, so I think "track changes" will now be helpful for us.

I think it'd be best to send the modified version to Eike Rathke, "cc" me; I'd like Eike to do the initial merge (Eike doesn't know that yet.  Hi Eike! :-) ).  I suspect 7PM EST Wednesday may not be Eike's favorite time -- Eike, if there's a better time NEAR that time, let us know.

There may be a better way; I'd be delighted to learn of it.  But we have to figure out SOME way to work together, so here's at least something to diverge from.