Subject: RE: [office-formula] Test Cases

I'm uneasy about that description of the situation because, although it
describes one of many states-of-affairs, it doesn't specify anything.  It
also doesn't indicate how one might get a handle on limitations of
computational precision in the arithmetic operators and the functions that
necessarily deliver approximations and are also subject to computational
limitations.

I think there are two intertwined matters here.

One has to do with what the data types are and the different levels of
abstraction and representation that we need to have our heads around when we
talk about a Number, a String (or Text), etc.

Sticking to questions of test cases I have three immediate concerns:

  1. With regard to test cases in the specification, I find that I am
seriously ambivalent (more about that after my signature).  I don't believe
there should be test cases in this specification and they certainly should
not have normative significance. Normative observations about how well a
computation behaves and how consistent the computational behavior is in a
formula evaluator need to be expressed some other way.  In particular, one
should be able to know what is needed without seeing test cases.

  2. With regard to the use of indicators for approximation error, the
little epsilons that are shown, these are not informative.  For example, we
don't account in any way for how epsilons on the input bears on epsilon of
the result.  E.g., for very small values of x, approximations for
sin(x+epsilon) will return x+epsilon for epsilon measurable but smaller in
magnitude than x.  On the other hand, if we are talking about exp(x+epsilon)
the result will be something like exp(x)*exp(epsilon) with whatever epsilon2
there is on the result itself.  I use these examples because they are easy
to visualize mathematically.  There are similar situations around use of
interest rates, results that will be made into exact currency values, and so
on, and the handling of ratios is generally a source of surprises.  I am not
proposing a solution to this, but we need to not be foolish about it.  It
would be more useful, to me, to see examples that demonstrate what sort of
epsilon arises in a given implementation or use case so that it could be
noticed and folks (both implementers and expert users assessing
implementations) would not be surprised.

  3. When we talk about test results, I wonder WHAT VALUE ARE WE TALKING
ABOUT?  WHAT VALUE ARE WE LOOKING AT?  When an operation (or a literal
number in a formula) delivers an intermediate result to another operation,
this may be quite a different matter from when a persistent result is
retained as the value of a cell of some sort.  We then need to distinguish
what that value may be (as it will be delivered into the recalculation of
some other formula or cell) versus (1) how that value is persisted for
communication as a cell value or result in a document format and (2) how
that value might appear as a viewable result (displayed or printed) after
formatting rules and other conversions (such as implicit rounding) are
applied.
   I suspect, in this case, we are concerned with the evaluation result that
a formula-hosting implementation is sitting on.  But in that case, one
assesses that value indirectly, usually with other formulas, not by casual
inspection of the way the result is shown by default in a cell-value
display.

 - Dennis

PS: As much as I don't think test cases of the kind we have should be in the
specification and that "test cases" should not have standalone normative
significance, I yearn for some sort of demonstration formulas that allow
important characteristics of a function to be demonstrated.  I don't know
where these should be found and what the accompanying guidance should be.

On OIC I said "I am thinking of simple relationships and identities that
should be apparent (or not) on inspection of certain cases, cases that
reveal actual deviations resulting from calculation and
number-representation limitations, and handling of [near-]edge cases and
cases generally though of as undefined or out-of-bounds."

I still think that would be extremely valuable.  Not sure where it goes, if
anywhere, in respect to the OpenFormula specification.