Subject: Re: [office-formula] Groups -OpenDocument-part2-draft18-editor-revision(OpenDocument-part2-draft18-editor-revision.odt) uploaded

Hi Patrick,

On Monday, 2010-02-01 13:50:04 -0500, Patrick Durusau wrote:

> We still need to decide what to do with the portable language.
>
> One option would be to move it to a normative annex that treats
> instances of syntax. The no revision of the portable language speaking
> of documents would be necessary.

I think moving the portable document text away to a separated annex
wouldn't be good. It is much easier to understand if it is kept within
context.

Earlier we agreed to convert portable documents language to portability
notes, and in a second step turn parts of those notes to normative text
where necessary.

>> Apart from that there's a problem with removing the word "typically".
>> For example, a sentence like
>>
>> "A currency is a subtype of number which typically is displayed with
>> a currency symbol."
>>
>> just said that. Removing typically there it suddenly becomes
>> a definition "A currency is a subtype of number which is displayed with
>> a currency symbol.", but that's not true, the actual display depends on
>> the number format assigned to the cell. The same with Percentage,
>> whether or not the number is multiplied by 100 and a percent sign is
>> displayed is not defined by the type.
>>

> Well, but the display of any subtype depends upon the number format
> assigned to the cell.

Yes.

> The issue with "typically" is that we don't say when currency with
> "typically" appear with a currency symbol and when it will not.
>
> To say "typically" is vague.
>
> If we want to say: "A currency is a subtype of number that may appear
> with or without a currency symbol or with other formatting depending
> upon the number format assigned to the cell where it appears."
>
> That avoids the vagueness of  "typically" and doesn't leave any doubt as
> to the mechanism that is producing the difference in presentation.

I'm fine with that.

PGP signature