Subject: Re: [office-formula] Conflict between Part 1 and Part 2

On Thu, 2010-02-04 at 14:30 -0700, robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Fair question.  I think the easiest way is to test it like this:
>
> Enter the date constant 2/28/1900 into cell A1
> Then enter the formula =A1+1 into another cell
>
> If it evaluates to 2/29/1900 then it has the bug.  If it evaluates to
> 3/1/1900 then it goes Gregorian calculations correctly, at least in that
> case.
>
> I've tested this, and of the implementations represented on the TC:
>
> Gnumeric, OpenOffice, Symphony, Google and KSpread do it correctly.
>
> Excel does not.

But Gnumeric represents 1900/2/28 as 59 and
1900/3/1 as 61. So if your test did not show that, your test is
inappropriate.

In fact, Gnumeric shouldn't have shown you any date (unless you have
Gnumeric in its null-date = 1904/1/1 mode.)

> I don't think number of existing documents in non-ODF formats is extremely
> relevant.

Considering we frequently talk about portability, I think this is
extremely important.

Andreas