Subject: Must preserve?

Bruce,

I may have just missed another way of saying it but I did not notice a
requirement that metadata must be preserved.

Granted, that will be an issue for the entire TC to decide on for ODF
1.2 but I think it flows out of the metadata extensions and needs to be
mentioned as necessary for many of the metadata use cases.

I think we need to add conversion to the "summarized" use cases as it is
the one that makes the clearest case for preservation of metadata.

If I convert from some foreign format to ODF and include metadata that
will facilitate conversion back to the foreign format, if that metadata
is dropped by any ODF application, then I have lost the ability to go
back to that format.

Note that I am *not* suggesting that any ODF application must recognize
or process such metadata, but it must preserve what it does not
understand. Some ODF applications will be able to use that metadata to
insure clean export back to the foreign format or other purposes. Nor is
any ODF application required to be able to export back to a foreign
format. But, all ODF applications should preserve the metadata that
makes that possible.

More comments forthcoming.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick