Subject: Define a Mechanism to Associate Metadata with Content?

Greetings!

With regard to this requirement, don't we need a mirror requirement for
structure?

Something along the lines of:

Define a Mechanism to Associate Metadata with Structure?

In particular the need to preserve metadata for conversion to and from
foreign formats comes to mind.

Easy enough to do by specifying a format for metadata that records the
metadata and uses XPath expressions to apply it to the ODF document.

We would have to specifically say that the XPath principle that the most
specific path expression applies so that conversions could address any
part of the ODF document.

I suspect that with metadata and XPath expressions would greatly assist
in the effort to reach an consensus on UOF and ODF.

Not to mention that ambitious ODF applications could use that metadata
to mimic the behavior found in other systems to insure seamless export
to the foreign format.

Let's be realistic. All office systems are going to be at best
heterogeneous environments for the forseeable future. Some may be
exclusively one foreign format or another. Displacing those systems with
ODF based applications, even assuming ODF applications were an order of
magnitude or more better in some respect, is a process that will take
years. As a former sysadmin I can assure you that "upgrade" was a nasty
word and "replacement" was almost unthinkable except in incremental steps.

If we can enhance the metadata for ODF such that ODF applications can
seamlessly fit into current systems, whatever those may be, and such
applications demonstrate a real value add over other applications, then
they can incrementally replace systems with a greater cost or less
abilities. Some people may simply take the plunge and do wholesale
conversion and seamless interoperability with legacy formats will be a
plus there as well.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Patrick

--