Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Enhanced search?

On Sep 13, 2006, at 9:12 AM, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

>> An author may associate metadata with content of a document that is
>> meaningful only to that author, separate and apart from any defined
>> domain.
>
> When I wrote that I was just trying to say users (which can include
> organizations) need to be able to use custom properties to describe
> their documents, and the stuff within them. By "domain" I was just
> thinking sort of user community or some such.

Just to expand on this, when you say "meaningful only to that author"
I'd want to be precise about the word "meaning."

E.g., we have this in ODF already:

	<dc:title>Some Title</dc:title>

... and someone wants to add their own custom property:

	<my:specialTitle>What Special Title</my:specialTitle>

The natural language semantics would indeed be "meaningful only to that
author."  But I would say that WRT to the model requirement, what is
significant here is that it is a custom property, which is a kind of
meaning to a machine. It need not know more than that though (hence the
"custom").