Subject: Re: [office-metadata] Consistent Identification?

Bruce,

Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> On Sep 13, 2006, at 10:01 AM, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
>
>> On Sep 13, 2006, at 9:35 AM, Patrick Durusau wrote:
>>
>>> No, IRIs facilitate integration with RDF based solutions and not
>>> "network-based solutions."
>>

>> Not true. IRIs are used in non-RDF contexts for identification too.
>

> Just to clarify: the obvious one I was thinking about is Atom. All
> posts must include an id, which must be an IRI.

Good point. For example your post had the ID: Message-Id:
<dbed8369338d1905c8ad6debf0c6ff93@OpenDocument.us>

But note that usenet posting are recommended to have unique ids while
"current", but usenet IDs can be re-used after some unspecified period
of time.

Just to illustrate that you may need more than a single IRI to have a
unique identifier if you are dealing with years worth of usenet postings.

I don't have any axe to grind against IRIs but I don't see them as a one
size fits all solution to questions of identification.

If my requirements are not satisfied by a single IRI, I would like to
have the ability to go beyond that.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--