Subject: Re: [office] Open Office XML Format TC Meeting Minutes 18/19 Feb 2003

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 16:17, Michael Brauer wrote:
> A)+B) Custom properties
> -----------------------
> The TC unanimously agreed to add custom properties by adding "typed"
> meta data elements. These elements are similar to the already existing
> "meta:user-defined" elements, except that they have an additional
> attribute specifying the type of the custom property value (f.i. string,
> number, date, etc.). These custom properties _should_ be editable by
> conforming applications and _should_ be preserved when editing documents
> with conforming applications.
> The TC unanimously agreed to add fields for referencing custom properties.

Sounds good.

> C) Attributes for paragraphs/character runs
> The TC agreed that styles are suitable and sufficient to further markup
> paragraphs and character runs (but also other object types like drawing
> objects), provided that
> - attributes and elements that are contained in a style but are not
> specified in the Open Office XML schema are preserved, and
Ok

> - multiple styles can be assigned to a paragraph, character run, etc.
What is the reason for this?

> Since current office suite implementations support only single styles,
> and since supporting multiple styles seems not to be easy to implement,
> the TC unanimously agreed to the following:
> - A "class" attribute will be added to all elements that reference a
> style already. The value of this class attribute is a space separated
> list of styles that are applied to the object additionally to the style
> referenced by the "style-name" attribute. Formatting attributes
> contained in styles referenced by the "class" attribute are evaluated in
> the order the style names appear in the list. The style referenced by
> the "style-name" attribute is treated like being the first style in the
> list. Conforming application _should_ support this new attribute and
> also _should_ preserve it while editing.

The idea is that if a paragraph has class="P1 P2", the attributes of the P2
style that will apply to the paragraph, are those that are not defined in P1,
right?

Can you give an example of when e.g. a word processor would end up generating
something like this?

> - Attributes and elements that are contained in the "properties" element
> of a style but are not specified by the Open Office XML schema _should_
> be preserved by conforming applications.
> - To be usable in a list, styles referenced by a "class" attribute must
> not contain space characters. For this reason, a "display-name" has to
> be added to styles. A description is also considered to be useful by the
> TC.
Indeed.

> D) Character runs across paragraph boundaries
> The TC unanimously agreed that the extensions mechanism defined in C)
> can be used to support character runs across paragraph boundaries. Such
> runs can be split at the paragraph boundaries, and an (user defined)
> "id" attribute can be added to the style referenced by the two new runs
> to specify that both runs actually are a single one.

What's the reason for a character run across a paragraph boundary?
(Here again I understand the mechanism, but not the need for it).

- --
David FAURE, faure@kde.org, sponsored by TrollTech to work on KDE,
How to write a Makefile.am for KDE/Qt code:
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/other/makefile_am_howto.html