Subject: Re: [office] XHTML 2 and ODF?

Bruce,

I am on the HTML working group developing XHTML2 and the ODF accessibility subteam. We are looking at taking some features from it and some from the Dynamic Web Accessibility work.

I was one of the engineers that developed the role attribute additon. It is not clear we need that at this time. Neither the XHTML 2 or the Dynamic Web Accessibility Specifications are at recommendation phase so we just can't pull in the features through namespaces. For the greatest value I believe the role value would be linked to a taxonomy covering drawings/diagrams. ... but we may find value for it in this or a later release of ODF. Is Notes something the TC was going to add to ODF and if so when?

Regarding XForms, ODF has very little support for XForms which is an integral part of XHTML 2. For example, ODF does not incorporate XForms controls.

We are looking at using the equivalent of a nextFocus attribute in drawings as well as general presentations to drive correct keyboard navigation. We are looking at pulling in the describedBy attribute defined for Dynamic Web Accessibility to address
long descriptions for drawing objects tied to captions defined in <text:sequence> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/adaptable/StatesAndProperties-20051106.html

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review Board
blog: http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/dw_blog.jspa?blog=441

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.", Frost

Inactive hide details for "Bruce D'Arcus" <bruce.darcus@OpenDocument.us>"Bruce D'Arcus" <bruce.darcus@OpenDocument.us>

          "Bruce D'Arcus" <bruce.darcus@OpenDocument.us>

          03/21/2006 01:30 PM

office@lists.oasis-open.org

cc

Subject

[office] XHTML 2 and ODF?

I wonder, have people on the TC been following the development of XHTML
2.0? It strikes me that they've already covered some of the ground (WRT
to accessibility, metadata and document structure in particular) that
we are now.

Prompted by a recent post by Bob DuCharme* and a presentation he linked
to:

<
http://www.w3.org/2005/Talks/05-steven-xtech/>

Also prompted by a reply I got from Steven Pemberton on my request for
a note element, which he explained is intended to be covered by a new
"role" attribute, which is itself intended to a) enhance accessibility,
and b) bring XHTML closer in line with semantic web efforts.

<
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/mod-role.html#col_Role>

Bruce

*