Subject: Re: [office] Fwd: ODF spec question (white-space processing)

On Monday 04 September 2006 11:26, Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg wrote:
> Daniel Vogelheim wrote:

Note that this would indeed be "collapsing" (to a single space), instead of removing.
The spec does talk about collapsing, not about removing.

> >>HTML ignores white space characters behind the start element tag,
> >
> > Actually, HTML does no such thing. Neither the HTML spec nor actual
> > HTML browsers remove existing whitespace behind a start element tag.
>
> What browser are you using? At least my Mozilla as well as Firefox doesn't
> display them.

Mozilla does keep one space after a start element, in my tests:
       Foo<span>          bar</span>

This shows "Foo bar" in mozilla (and in konqueror), as I expected,
and not "Foobar".
White space is collapsed, not removed.

> Well, the intention behind the white-space processing rules is to allow
> authors to pretty-print paragraph text. HTML is used as an archetype here,
> because its rules do work very well in practice. It may be that we could find
> some better wording for the relation of the OpenDocument white space
> processing rules to HTML, but IMHO it is consistent with the HTML
> specification to ignore white space characters at the paragraph start.

But HTML doesn't do that, and therefore OpenDocument shouldn't do it either.