Subject: Re: [office] Defaults

Hi David,

David A. Wheeler wrote:
>> Default values for formatting attributes at the schema level
>> Problematic because not supported by RelaxNG
>> Would conflict with style inheritance. Properties are inherited from
>> parent styles. A default value would get in the way of inheritance.
>> The solution may thus be to define the fallbacks which apply when a
>> property isn't defined anywhere in the hierarchy.
>
> Rather than specifying the defaults using RelaxNG - which would interfere with style inheritance implemented by OpenDocument - why not define the OpenDocument defaults using the _OpenDocument_ format itself?

Yes, that's one option, and I think not a bad one. It's compact, and
provides the chance to use them directly in implementations.

The other option I can think of are tables that list the defaults. Such
tables could be generated from default styles in ODF, and vice versa.
So, the effort to provide the information seems to be the same for both
option, and it is more a question of style.

> You could claim that all styles inherit from some RootStyle (need a better name), and then include a definition of RootStyle (for the values you cared about) using the OpenDocument spec itself.
>
> Or am I missing something?
>
> --- David A. Wheeler

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS