Subject: Re: [office] discussion about a feature request regarding user inputfields

Bruce,

thank you very much for your thoughts and ideas. They are very
interesting. However, I think for the moment we should concentrate on
finding a solution for the described feature request, which is (from my
understanding) limited to some kind of "user input field".

Please note that I have set the term "field" into "". I did do so by
intention, because I think we should be careful with the use of the term
"field".  The question what a "field" is has been raised already several
times. So, I would like to share my thought on this with you: If you
look at the ODF specification, then there are many "fields". Or more
precisely, there are many elements that we call "fields", but that
interestingly don't have a "field" in their element names. The only
thing that these "fields" have in common is that they can contain some
text content, and that this text content usually has not been entered by
the user by placing the cursor somewhere into the text and just typing
in the text, as it is the case for regular text. But beside that, the
various "fields" have very different characteristics and purposes. Take
for instance a "field" that displays a page number. This has little in
common with the "user input field" we are discussing here. In
particular, while I totally agree that an "input-field" may contain
paragraph breaks, I have some doubts whether a page number ever will
contain paragraph breaks. So I honestly have some doubts that it is
required to apply the extension we may agree on for "user inputs fields"
to all other elements that we call "fields". But maybe to some.

I furthermore would like to mention here that the set of elements that
ODF calls "fields" is different than the set of functionality that OOo
calls "fields" in its UI, and that this set again is different than the
set of C++ classes that are called "fields" in the OOo implementation.
This applies to OOo, but I believe also to other application. Which
means, there seems to be no universal definition what a "field" is,
which applies to all office file formats, office UIs and
implementations. They all user their own definition.

Having that said: I believe the most important property of "fields" is
not that they are "fields". Its the functionality or semantic that they
add to a document. It is more or less an arbitrary decision what we call
a "field" in ODF, and what we don't call a "field", and it is up to us
to decide what we call a "field", and that we don't call a "field".

So, for the "user input field", I think we should in the first place
check how we would best represent the required functionality. We should
not imply any special semantics or requirements from the fact that we
call this a "field". Florian has implemented this with the help of
bookmarks. So instead of calling it a "user input field" we may also
have called it a "user input bookmark". In both cases, it is just a name
for a functionality, not more. If we know how to represent the
functionality, we may check whether there are other "fields" (or ODF
elements we don't call "fields") that need the same functionality, and
we may then check whether we still want to call these things "fields".

I hope this helps in our discussions.

BTW: I suggest that we continue the discussion about "meta-fields" in a
separate thread on the metadata mailing list.