Subject: Re: [office] Are all charts always backed by a table?

Pete,

I can't speak for the TC but I do think that charts are always backed by
a table.

I base that on the language in 10.2 that reads:

> The chart data is specified by the |<chart:plot-area>| element's
> |table:cell-range-address| attribute. The |<chart:plot-area>| element
> represents the visualization container of all data series in the chart.

I think the "may" language in the second list item is unfortunate and
mis-leading.

What was intended (utter speculation on my part) was to distinguish when
data is specified in the <chart:chart> element and therefore "not" in
the document, versus being specified in the document and hence not
inside the <chart:chart> element. Even as I write that I find it
unconvincing and wonder why it would be worthy of note.

So, there are two cases: a <table:table> element inside <chart:chart> or
the value of the table:cell-range-address attribute of the
<chart:plot-area> element.

Note that the new "navigation" links that Michael has created enable the
reader to quickly go to <chart:plot-area> and then to the definition of
the table:cell-range-address attribute, 18.946. Which does appear to
presume that tables are being addressed but does not explicitly say so.

So, I think the answer is yes, all charts are backed by tables but that
your question does raise the question of the need to make the
table:cell-range-address attribute a bit more specific about what it can
address.

(Apologies for bragging a bit on Michael's work on the cross-referencing
but I have found it very valuable. I think it is going to result in a
much tighter ODF 1.2.)

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick