Subject: Re: [office] 17.5 on IRIs

Patrick,

On 22.09.08 18:55, Patrick Durusau wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> To continue the discussion from the call this morning, I would call
> everyone's attention to a prior suggestion by Michael (I overlooked this):
>
>> *Every IRI reference that is not a relative-path reference does* not
>> > need any special processing. This especially means that absolute-paths
>> > do not reference files inside the package, but within the hierarchy the
>> > package is contained in, for instance the file system. IRI references
>> > inside a package may leave the package, but once they have left the
>> > package, they never can return into the package or another one.

In the resolution of the comment that I have discussed with Murata-san,
there is also a change to the previous paragraph. The new text is:

****
A relative-path reference *(as defined in ァ4.2 of [RFC3986], except
that it may contain the additional characters that are allowed in IRI
references [RFC3987])* that occurs in a file that is contained in a
package has to be resolved exactly as it would be resolved if the whole
package gets unzipped into a directory at its current location. The base
IRI for resolving relative-path references is the one that has to be
used to retrieve the (unzipped) file that contains the relative-path
reference.

*Every IRI reference that is not a relative-path reference does* not
need any special processing. This especially means that absolute-paths
do not reference files inside the package, but within the hierarchy the
package is contained in, for instance the file system. IRI references
inside a package may leave the package, but once they have left the
package, they never can return into the package or another one.
****

This change is important, because it clarifies what we mean by a
relative-path reference. A relative-path reference is just a relative
path, and differs from the term relative URI. It is one kind of a
relative URI, but there are others. For instance, a URI starting with a
"/" is a relative URI, but it is not a relative path.

> OK, having gone the long way around (apologies but I wanted it to be
> clear that remarks from others and not any cleverness on my part has
> resulted in the following) here is what I would propose to "fix" the
> paragraph in question:

I'm not sure which part of the paragraph is addressed by the comment for
which we a looking for a resolution, but have no objections to improve
the language. Your 2nd suggestion sounds okay for me, except that I
would add that IRI may also address files within the same package. That is:

****
Every IRI reference that is not a relative-path reference does not need
Any special processing. Absolute-paths can not reference files inside a
package. IRI references inside a package may address anything
addressable by an IRI that is outside of a package *or within the same
package*, but no IRI outside of a package may address any location
within any package.
****

Michael

> ****
> Every IRI reference that is not a relative-path reference does not need
> any special processing. Absolute-paths can not reference files inside a
> package, but may, for instance, address packages that are held in a file
> hierarchy. IRI references inside a package may address anything
> addressable by an IRI that is outside of a package, but no IRI outside
> of a package may address any location within any package.
> ****
>
> A bit wordy for me and I would suggest further edits on the second
> sentence, now that I suspect we know what was meant and to replace the
> paragraph with:
>
> ****
> Every IRI reference that is not a relative-path reference does not need
> any special processing. Absolute-paths can not reference files inside a
> package. IRI references inside a package may address anything
> addressable by an IRI that is outside of a package, but no IRI outside
> of a package may address any location within any package
> ****
>
> The second half of the third sentence strikes me as redundant with the
> second sentence. So, my personal preference would be:
>
> ****
> Every IRI reference that is not a relative-path reference does not need
> any special processing. An absolute-path IRI can not reference files
> inside a package. IRI references inside a package may address anything
> addressable by an IRI that is outside of a package.
> ****
>
> Note that I started to say "that is outside of *the* package" to make
> reference to the package containing the IRI but that would be wrong
> because we don't want absolute IRIs addressing files in *any* package.
>
> Hope everyone is having a great day!
>
> Patrick

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS