Subject: RE: [office] ODF 1.2 draft 7 - table chapter

"Authority" means several different things.  It might be the civil or
religious authority that mandates the use of a calendar.  Or it may be the
first author to fully describe the calendar.  Or it may be a modern
reference that fully describes the existing practice.

For Gregorian calendar, the original authority was, as you might imagine,
Pope Gregory's bull "Inter gravisimas".  But that is not the legal
authority, at least not in the US.  The authority for the US (or at that
time the British Colonies) was the Act 24 Geo. 2. c. 23 which said:

"Be it further enacted by the Authority aforesaid, that the several Years
of our Lord, 1800, 1900, 2100, 2200, 2300, or any other hundredth Years of
our Lord, which shall happen in Time to come, except only every fourth
hundredth Year of our Lord, whereof the Year of our Lord 2000 shall be the
first, shall not be esteemed or taken to be Bissextile or Leap Years, but
shall be taken to be common Years, consisting of 365 Days, and no more."

Of course, the path to the Gregorian calendar probably took a less direct
route in former French or Spanish territories that now are part if the
U.S.  When you combine that with the near (but not exactly)
contemporaneous adoption of January 1st as the beginning of the New Year,
and it is difficult to nail an authority.  Conventionally we just say
apply Gregorian after 1582 and pretend that it happened all over the world
at the same time, which it didn't.  So doing internationally date math in
the period 1582-1752 is treacherous.

I could see burning a lot of digital ink on trying to solve this problem.
But we might consider when this is something akin to trying to define
"bold" in text, or defining what the "red" value in an RGB triplet means,
or defining a language code.  We're allowed to specify a language code of
"de_ch", but we are not obliged to define and explain what exactly
comprises the Swiss Germany dialect.

-Rob

"Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote on 10/30/2008
08:42:17 PM:

> I am a calendar and date-time algorithm junky, so this exchange provoked
> little research on my part.
>
> I don't have any insight about the non-Gregorian calendars, but it would
be
> great to provided references to authoritative sources that can be
located
> and used.
>
> For the Gregorian calendar,
>
> It strikes me that IS 29500 punts on the rules for Gregorian Calendars
as
> much as ODF does, although ISO 8601 does specify the Gregorian calendar
in
> an indirect way.  If you know the rule for leap years plus the standard
> calendar, all you need to do to make a Gregorian Calendar is know the
day of
> the week of January 1 for that year.  (It is a Saturday for every
Gregorian