Subject: Re: [office] Embedded Metadata in <office:document>

Hi Dennis,

You are mentioning problems of the ODF flat format being an adequate
syntax, which the metadata proposal does not intent to fix.
Although I agree that the metadata proposal make those problems more
obvious.
I would rather suggest to drop the ODF flat format from the ODF
specification, instead of adding further unnecessary complexity.

Please fine my detailed answer in the text.

Happy holidays,
Svante

Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> I want to look at this single topic: understanding how the metadata
> extension can work as part of an <office:document> root element on an XML
> document.
>
> 1. I am not asking about whether other kinds of material are easily embedded
> in an <office:document> single XML document.  My question is specifically
> about the RDF metadata.  That is, is there a natural element for carrying
> such elements, with no special encoding since there is a perfectly fine
> XML-embedding of RDF, last time I checked.

There is no natural element for carrying XML files.
Remember only images and OLE objects that are referenced/used from the
content.xml and styles.xml are currently preserved by a BASE64 encoding
(enlarging the data to 33%).
There is no element for XML file preserving nor a way to map files that
are not referenced.
Therefore since ODF 1.0 any other user data part of the package is lost
in the flat format, there is no generic mechanism of mapping.

Than there exist an algorithm how to map the file specific identifier
(xml:id) from all package files to a single XML document to ensure a
stable roundtrip among ODF applications.

Finally there is no mime type nor suffix although having a different
file format (XML instead of ZIP).

 From my view the single <office:document> syntax is boiler plate to
ODF. It is a burden for implementations by duplicating the format from a
zip to a single file, without a benefit adding complexities, as you show
not sufficient solved.
> 2. Also, whether <office:document> is an uninteresting format compared to
> the Zip package, it is specified as a legitimate OpenDocument Format
> document representation.  In addition, <office:document> elements may appear
> within <draw:object> and some other elements as some sort of embedding.  It
> is also legitimate to include an <office:document> XML document by reference
> from a <draw:object> and other elements.  I suppose that embeddings could be
> accomplished by entity reference as well, provided that there was a way to
> define entity references (and I've never seen anything that bans DOCTYPE
> declarations on standalone <office:document> XML documents and on package
> items such as content.xml).  [If I've missed that, please let me know where
> it is in the specification.]
>
> I am interested in whether or not RDF XML metadata should be specified to
> have a place as elements, perhaps immediately in the <office:document>
> content and preceding any other content, or just anywhere?

I would suggest to drop the flat format for the follow up of ODF 1.2 (as
there are no further proposals for ODF 1.2).
Or does anybody still see a sense in the existence of the file format,
justifying the effort of the ODF applications?