Subject: RE: [office] 2009-01-08 Single ODF 1.2 metadata proposal

Thank you for locating the normative statement about the attributes of XHTML
elements and then use of the XHTML namespace when those attributes are used
on non-XHTML elements.  I still encourage you to consider a name that
reflects use of the RDFa extensions that are applied to those attributes in
the context of ODF 1.2.

From [XHTML Modularization 1.1] section 5.1 (normative):

      Each of the attributes defined in an XHTML attribute collection
      is available for use when their corresponding module is included
      in an XHTML Host Language or an XHTML Integration Set. In such a
      situation, the attributes are available for use in the
      definition of elements that are NOT in the XHTML namespace when
      they are referenced using their namespace-qualified identifier
      (e.g., xhtml:class). The semantics of the attributes remain the
      same regardless of whether they are referenced using their
      qualified identifier or not. It is an error to use an XHTML
      namespace-qualified attribute on elements from the XHTML
      Namespace.

 - Dennis

PS: The reference to section 9.2 of [RDFa] is not illuminating in this
regard because we are not doing an XHTML module.  On the other hand, it
would be useful to have some description in ODF 1.2 that those are the
attributes of XHTML+RDFa that we intend.  (It would be useful to grab
xhtml:base in the same way, or have an extension of it that works for
grounding relative paths within packages, something I am sure XHTML does not
address.)

> attributes with regard to the use of XHTML namespaces (i.e., in section
> 3.1.2), and there is no indication that the no-namespace attribute names
of
> XHTML are also local names of the XHTML namespace.

Steven Pemberton the chair of the W3C XHTML WG suggested to me this
approach during the TPAC in Cannes last year.

"Each of the attributes defined in an XHTML attribute collection is
available for use when their corresponding module is included in an
XHTML Host Language or an XHTML Integration Set. In such a situation,
the attributes are available for use in the definition of elements that
are NOT in the XHTML namespace when they are referenced using their
namespace-qualified identifier (e.g., xhtml:class). The semantics of the
attributes remain the same regardless of whether they are referenced
using their qualified identifier or not. It is an error to use an XHTML
namespace-qualified attribute on elements from the XHTML Namespace."

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/abstract_modules.html#s_commonatts

And RDFa defines an attribute collection:

"9.2. Metainformation Attributes Collection

The following attributes are included in the attribute collection, and
take values in the associated datatype:"

http://www.w3.org/TR/rdfa-syntax/#col_Metainformation

Hope this helps!
[ ... ]