Subject: RE: [office] Conformance Clause proposal, Version 8

I would really like a simple adjective.  I understand the concept, I just
don't think it is usefully applied as a name for a conformance level.  I
also don't think it means anything until defined specifically as a
conformance level for ODF, so it is no better than "loose," just different.
I'm note even sure how to use "host language conformant" in a sentence.
I'll go review your use of it and see how it reads.

Have you seen it used as a defined level of conformance by anyone (as
opposed to talking about such kinds of conformance)?  My concern is that
this is not an established or "speaking" term in the community for which it
needs to be understood for ODF.  Are you going to make a normative reference
to another standard (I think that is what borrowing means, like using
ISO/IEC conformance nomenclature).

I'm still arguing for conformable (which is suggestive of the situation,
where in a hosted thing, you're not expected to be able to ignore the new
elements and it probably have to identify the hosting in some way) at the
ceiling and (strictly) conforming at the stricter level.  If strict is not
usable because it is a term of art in OASIS specification (although we are
not following the document that uses that definition), I'll give up about
that.  But I bet strict conformance sticks in popular use, even though
informally.  I also think you'll here people talking about OpenDocument
conformance (without the "document").

 - Dennis

OK: I am starting to repeat myself only louder.  I'm sticking to my
perspective that the term lacks any particle of explanatory power, and if a
reference to a definition has to be made in every occurrence it is simply a
bad idea.  But these are my last questions on this particular aspect.