Subject: RE: [office] Re: ODF Conformance

Hi Doug,

I don't want to leave this offer unacknowledged.  I think this is worth
doing, along the lines of the "least power" thought I sent earlier.
customXML is a targeted approach, and that is better, IMHO, than bringing
out the more powerful nuclear death ray every time.

As mentioned before, I'd like to get a better sense of what extensibility
features vendors really need, and in what specific areas, and see if some
combination of targeted mechanisms will handle them.

My understanding is that customXML is not so much for vendor application
extensions, but for end-user or 3rd party extensions, to align with
in-house or vertical industry XML vocabularies.  Is that a fair
representation?  That's fine too. In any case, before the TC can get far
with customXML, you'll need to see what approvals you need from your guys
before you can contribute the relevant pages of the OOXML standard to the
ODF TC.  I think we would need a formal contribution to satisfy the OASIS
IPR rules.

I really don't want to delay ODF 1.2, since I am already being accused of
running a "death march", but if enough members feel strongly about this,
we do have options:

1) Insert some additional normative language about extensibility
mechanisms, included some targeted approaches into ODF 1.2.  Maybe if we
get the main uses cases covered by targeted approaches we can remove or at
least deprecate the "nuclear death ray gun" mechanism?

2) Or, we could add a non-normative appendix on extensibility in ODF 1.2,
outlining the various existing mechanisms and suggesting best practices.
This could also be done in a separate document along the lines of what we
did with the Accessibility Guidelines.

3) We could, if there was strong interest, strip out all of the
extensibility mechanisms in Part 1 of ODF 1.2 and put them into a new Part
4, to follow the other 3 parts, giving us more time and room to work out a
more comprehensive solution.

4) Kick the can down the road and deal with this all in ODF 1.3 or ODF
2.0.

-Rob