Subject: <style:default-style>, <style:default-page-layout>

Greetings!

Oliver replied to my editorial notes on these items saying that any ODF
application would define its own default styles.

See: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200903/msg00019.html

While I can understand why any ODF application should be allowed to
define its own default styles, I don't think that answers the question
of whether ODF 1.2 should define a set of default styles.

Although we as technical types probably take a more abstract view of the
notion of "interchange," I suspect that users are more clued into the
visual presentation of a document as representing successful, or not,
interchange.

That is to say that if a page is by default formatted noticeably
different from one ODF application to another, users are going to have
the impression that interchange, at least as they understand the term,
isn't a feature of ODF.

Granted I don't have a magic ruler than says how much presentational
fidelity is necessary to meet the expectations of users but suspect
there is enough experience among some of the software vendors who are
supporters of ODF to make an attempt at documenting a default set of
styles for ODF applications. Which they are free to depart from if they
so choose but that will offer some minimal fidelity between ODF
applications.

1) Default styles are defined in ODF 1.2.

2) Default styles are defined in ODF-Next.

3) Default styles are never defined, always application dependent.

I think my preference is pretty clear but this really needs to be a TC
decision one way or the other.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34