Subject: Re: [office] SC34 Ballot N1414 "New Work Item Proposal on Document Packaging"

Dave,

On 6/6/2010 7:35 AM, Dave Pawson wrote:
> On 6 June 2010 11:51, Patrick Durusau<patrick@durusau.net>  wrote:
>

>> What part of Thorsten's email would you draw our attention to?
>>
>> Thorsten wrote (his entire comment):
>>

>>> Surely the work item proposal asks for an_independent_  standard?
>>>
> That's all.
> Current zip isn't (or is doubted to be) 'independent' or OSS
> if you want.

Thanks for the clarification.

In that sense, the proposal is unclear since it does not specify whether
it intends to:

1) Standardize ZIP itself (PKWare's technology)

2) Standardize some sub-part of ZIP (PKWare's technology)

3) Standardize some compatible sub-part of PKWare's technology but in a
non-infringing way.

Options #1 and #2 raise the question of simply appropriately a vendor's
technology that some standards group thinks should be "independent" or
OSS (Open-Source Software). (Not that "independent" should be confused
with OSS but that is a separate question.)

Option #3 raises the same question as #1 and #2 as a matter of common
courtesy.

All three options raise the issue of whether SC 34 is the competent body
to undertake such work.

Hope you are having a great day!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34