Subject: RE: [office] RE: Directories in Zip packages

Svante, a sub-document doesn't have to be an "actual" directory in any
literal sense.  This was clear in ODF 1.0/1.1 and I know of nothing that
requires us to change that.

The sub-document <manifest:file-entry> simply has to specify a "path" prefix
that some of the package files share and that are treated as a collection
with respect to the manifest:media-type.  Otherwise we would be in a world
of hurt with manifest:full-path="/".

We don't have nor require that "META-INF/" be declared as a sub-document or
have a directory entry in the package, nor do we do so for "Thumbnail/" and
so on.

When there is an ODF Package-significant use for declaring empty
directories, we should treat it as an extension case.  In the meantime, I
think we should give consumers a break here, especially around document
security issues.  A speculative future scenario is no help to a consumer who
stumbles on one of these now because of some inscrutable producer behavior.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Svante Schubert [mailto:Svante.Schubert@oracle.com]
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2010 09:20
To: office@lists.oasis-open.org

On 27.09.2010 16:57, Bob Jolliffe wrote:

	So I would say that an odf producer should only produce entries in
the
	zipfile for non-zero-length streams (this would by default also
	excludes directories).  And that each of these shall be referenced
in
	a full document signature.

May I remind the TC, that from the perspective of the package (ODF 1.2 part
3 - which can be seen as the base layer of ODF 1.2) an entity called a
document is defined by a directory related with a media type (in the
manifest.xml).

In general I believe when a generic functionality does not hurt, it should
not be forbidden nor dropped as other yet unknown user scenarios might rely
on it.

Regards,
Svante

--

 <http://www.oracle.com/>
Svante Schubert | ODF Standardization

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande

 <http://www.oracle.com/commitment>

Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that help protect
the environment