Subject: Features for ODF 1.3/Next

Greetings!

Just a couple of questions to start the discussion of new features for
ODF 1.3/Next.

1) To what extent would having a page model from XSL-FO enhance
interoperability? (This implies generally following XSL-FO as written,
not in compatible mode.)

I am thinking that using the XSL-FO page model would allow us to
describe the placement of objects in the terminology of XSL-FO.

Not that I care how an implementation accomplishes that placement, so
long as it serializes the result to XML that conforms to the ODF spec.

Thinking this would give us greater specificity without having to
re-invent a vocabulary in which to specify the placement of content on a
page.

2) To what extent would implementations be impacted if the draw
provisions of ODF 1.2 were re-written to use SVG 1.1?

Just asking at this point, I need to review all the draw provisions and
see what that would take.

Would we want to deprecate current provisions with the promise to
terminate support in a following version?

Documents written using the older standard would still be valid, but
might not be supported by all software.

Hope everyone is at the start of a great week!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net