oic message

Subject: RE: OIC TC: 2009-01-21 Meeting Minutes - Correction

I misspelled Michael Brauer's name in the content.  here is the repaired version.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis E. Hamilton [mailto:dennis.hamilton@acm.org]
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 12:30
To: OIC TC List (oic@lists.oasis-open.org)
Subject: OIC TC: 2009-01-21 Meeting Minutes

OASIS INTEROPERABILITY AND CONFORMANCE (OIC) TC
   Wednesday, January 21, 2009 Coordination Call
   14:30 - 15:30 GMT

1. LOGISTICS
The chat room: http://webconf.soaphub.org/conf/room/oic (doesn't count as attendance)
The call-in numbers: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/200810/msg00008.html
The meeting was called to order by Chair Bart Hanssens at 14:36 GMT

1.1 ATTENDANCE AND QUORUM CHECK

    QUORUM: 7 of 11 Voting Members at start (6 required) [the secretary counted 8 but we had a quorum anyhow]

    MEMBERS IN ATTENDANCE

    * Bart Hanssens, Fedict (Chair)
    * Mingfei Jia, IBM
    + Robert Weir, IBM
    * Andreas Guelzow, Individual
    * Dennis Hamilton, Individual (secretary)
    + Stephen Peront, Microsoft
    * Andrew Rist, Oracle
    * Michael Brauer, Sun Microsystems
    + Michael Cziebalski, Sun Microsystems
    * Daniel Rentz, Sun Microsystems

      [* = Voting Member at start of meeting
       + = achieved Voting Member status at conclusion of meeting]

    MEMBERS ABSENT

      Charles Schulz, Ars Aperta
      Peter Junge, Beijing Redflag Chinese 2000 Software
      Alex Wang, Beijing Sursen International
    * Jeremy Allison, Google
    - Donald Harbison, IBM
      Pierre Ducroquet, Individual
      Thorsten Zachmann, Individual
      Doug Mahugh, Microsoft
    * Alan Clark, Novell
      Tom Rabon, Red Hat
      Aslam Raffee, South Africa Dept. of Science & Technology
    * Louis Suarez-Potts, Sun Microsystems
      Jerry Smith, US Department of Defense

      [* = Voting Member
       - = Voting Member status ended at conclusion of meeting]

1.2 ACCEPTANCE OF PREVIOUS MEETING MINUTES [1], accepted

1.3 ACCEPTANCE OF TODAY'S AGENDA [2], accepted

2. STATUS OF ACTION ITEMS

#0001 Contact OpenDocumentFellowship - still open, recontact pending
#0007 Create oic-user Discussion List (can close) closed - we are linked to OpenDocument xml.org and there is a post there as well.
#0013 Become active on the wiki - standing item - ongoing effort
#0014 Create List of events - no report
#0015 Create Template Scenario - Dennis repromises for today
#0015 Start Experimental Explosion of ODF 1.1 on Wiki
   Dennis provided a report of the experience so far and how he will complete the Package section.  There appear to be ways to have computer assistance, including copy and paste, to help in extracting a specification into this form.  Dennis also agreed to continue as editor until we are working in so many different parts that we need to collaborate on getting multiple sections up and usable.
   There was a brief discussion of where to place comments now and to remember to use @SIG@ as a way to timestamp and identify your own additions.

3. DELIVERABLES: TEST DOCUMENTS

3.1 COMMENTS ON EXPERT TALK QUESTIONS [3]
  There were no comments on the slide sets and notes.
  There have been no discussions on the list.
  ACTION: Dennis agreed to make a straw-man post on the first item to get the ball rolling.

3.2 ODF PACKAGE TESTABILITY, FIRST IMPRESSIONS

  This is partly a discussion of the Specification Analysis [4].  We reaffirmed that we are focusing on this one area as a way to develop our practice for dealing with the specification and for developing our connected interoperability and conformance material.

4. ROUND TABLE

4.1 THE FIRST DELIVERABLE
  We discussed the first deliverable (Report on Status of Interoperability, scheduled for March 2009 in the Charter).  That is a soft commitment and we can modify it.  We are interested in producing some sort of initial report, however.
  ACTION ITEM: Rob Weir agreed to offer an outline for a tentative first report.
  We also discussed using the Wiki to discuss and create the report, with one concern that we will probably have no mechanical way to derive a report document from the Wiki content.  The ability to get to wikiText and to get back from wikiText is asymmetrical currently.
  In discussing OASIS report templates [5], we noticed that these would be interesting interoperability cases for ODF and we can dog-food templating our own report and how well it works with different implementations (and across different formats, it looks like).
  Also, it was suggested an easy way to make a survey was to create a form from the ODF schema.  The form could be used as a checklist by producers of ODF-supporting software to indicate which features they support and how features are dealt with.  Michael Brauer already has experience using an XSL document to do that.

5. FUTURE MEETING PLANNING

   The next meeting is on Wednesday, February 11

   Further meetings will occur on the regular two-week intervals

6. END OF MEETING

   The meeting was adjourned at 15:34 GMT

[1] ODF TC: 2009-01-14 Meeting Minutes
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/200901/msg00026.html

[2] ODF TC: 2009-01-21 Meeting Agenda
    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/200901/msg00027.html

[3] http://wiki.oasis-open.org/oic/TestingThoughts1
    The suggested first decisions to make are at
    http://wiki.oasis-open.org/oic/TestingThoughts1/800_The_First_Wave_of_Decisions

[4] http://wiki.oasis-open.org/oic/SpecAnalysis

[5] http://docs.oasis-open.org/templates/

 - Dennis

Dennis E. Hamilton
NuovoDoc: Design for Document System Interoperability
mailto:Dennis.Hamilton@acm.org | gsm:+1-206.779.9430
http://NuovoDoc.com http://ODMA.info/dev/ http://nfoWorks.org