oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] first impression on conformance tests ? - <dc:creator> namespace abuse

With regard to the ODF 1.1 section 3.7.1 modification of the Dublin Core 1.1
creator element, I note that the RDF CURI attribute value "dc:creator" using
the same namespace binding for the dc: prefix, and allowed in the ODF 1.2
RDF Metadata, will always have the Dublin Core semantics and never have the
interpretation forced onto the ODF 1.1 <office:meta> <dc:creator> element
except by coincidence.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis E. Hamilton [mailto:dennis.hamilton@acm.org]

Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 13:08
To: 'Hanssens Bart'; OIC TC List
Subject: RE: [oic] first impression on conformance tests ? -
<office:metadata> <dc:creator> element.

[ ... ]

[I am also distressed by the liberties taken in redefining
something in the Dublin Core namespace, something that I say the ODF TC is
not entitled to do.]

[ ... ]

3. SERIOUS CONCERN

3.1 I looked at section 3.1.7 Creator, and I find this statement to be
abominable: "The name of this element was chosen for compatibility with the
Dublin Core, but this definition of "creator" used here differs from Dublin
Core."  However dc:creator is bound to local name creator of the namespace
"http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"; and it is inappropriate to misappropriate
namespace terms from a normatively-used namespace that is not under the
control of OASIS or the ODF specification.  (The last time I checked into DC
Creator, far too long ago, they also provided some principles for
specialization of their elements, but this is not that.)

[ ... ]