oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] Minute item

Hi Ming Fei,

I would be interested in seeing the English draft version of the UOF spec that you mentioned, to understand the situation better.  It sounds like Louis received a copy, but I haven't seen an email on the OIC TC list -- can you send a copy to the TC?

Regards,
Doug

-----Original Message-----
From: Louis.Suarez-Potts@Sun.COM [mailto:Louis.Suarez-Potts@Sun.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 1:04 PM
To: Ming Fei Jia
Cc: oic-list

On 2009-07-29, at 13:07 , Ming Fei Jia wrote:

> That's OK.

Thanks.

> I could be one of contacts working with UOF group. China major
> Office vendors have implemented UOF 1.0/1.1. And maybe somebody
> already
> knows OpenOffice3.x contains a UOF filter that was contributed by
> Redflag.

Yes, of course: Peter Junge of Redflag is quite aware of this, as am
I.  My interest (all our?) lies in its improvement and maintenance,
and in the possible harmonization (however defined) with ODF, so that
there is greater correspondence with internationally accepted formats,
such as ODF and so that therefore China (in particular, government
offices) is neither isolated nor rendered more difficult to work with.

> Now UOF group is working on UOF 2.0. In the mean time, CESI(China
> Electronic Standard Institue, the government agency under which UOF
> group
> is) is planning to setup the ISO SC34 mirror organization in local,
> called
> China SC34, the major purpose is to sync up with the counter
> international
> standards.

Right, thanks for the clarification. Is there any possibility of
instituting this effort in an impartial environment in China or even
within Oasis? And would that make sense, given the current situation?

> Actually some work items are already going on under this
> organization although the organization is not officially announced
> yet for
> some political reason.

I see.

> Some of UOF group work items are also under this
> organization, e.g. UOF requirements collections, e-Gov document
> templates
> collections, UOF SDK reference implementation.

Ah, that's good.

> I think for ODF, maybe Peter and I can sync up the requirements
> between UOF
> and ODF, and benefit both standards.

I would certainly encourage it.

> For example, UOF contains some Chinese
> specific features, we can evaluate if ODF needs to import such
> features
> from users perspective.

Yes; that is what Peter (and also Rob) had discussed.

> And vice versa, if OIC/ODF TC think some ODF
> features need to be introduced into UOF, we can be delegated to work
> with
> UOF group to make it possible, etc.

Yes.

> Of course, as Rob mentioned in today's meeting, China standard bylaw
> and IP
> policy is different from OASIS.

Yes. And a reconciliation would seem to be ultimately wanted.

> Generally China standard body will publish
> its own IPR corresponding to specific specification. Now the bylaw
> and IPR
> for China SC34 is still under discussion coordinated by CESI.
>
> BTW, IBM China ever worked with Peking univ and UOF group to translate
> UOF1.0 draft to English version. You can download from
> http://www.uof.org.cn. But it seems very difficult to access that
> website
> for some unknow reason now

So I have encountered.

> . So I attach a copy here at my hand(See attached
> file: uof_english_1.0_060922.zip). Note: this is only very draft
> verson. We
> did not update it accompanied with Chinese official version
> development.
> Only for your reference..

Thanks!
Louis