oic message

Subject: OIC TC 2009-07-15 Discussion Notes

OIC TC 2009-07-15 DISCUSSION NOTES

(PLEASE NOTE: This document covers our July 15 discussion, not the just-completed July 29 Coordination Call)

MEETING OF THE WHOLE, 15 July 2009
Time:  13:30 - 14:39 UT

The OIC TC Meeting scheduled for 2009-07-15 failed to achieve a quorum.  The record of that meeting for attendance-tracking purposes has been posted at
<http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/200907/msg00017.html>.

These notes are of the discussion that was held.  No committee actions were taken.  The topics of the original agenda were followed as a structure for the discussion,
<http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/200907/msg00010.html>.

2. STATUS OF ACTION ITEMS
We did not have attendees available to provide status on action items.  These are the ones that were discussed:

#0001 OpenDocument Fellowship and Intel Test Suites - no word back so far

#0015 Template Scenario.  Dennis will put something up and ask questions about nomenclature, what to call the scenario, etc.

#0029 ODF Interop/Plugfest at OOoCon2009 in November.  Louis reported that there are discussions on moving the ODF camp from the conference and staging it either before or after OOoCon2009.  This decoupling might end up with a different location (i.e., not in Orvieto).  It is unclear where the resources for pulling off a plugfest might come from.
  Rob talked about other possible venues for plugfests and companion events (such as SC34 in Seattle in September, preceding LinuxCon 2009 in Portland, Oregon).  Working in conjunction with Universities in Europe is also very promising.
  Rob also mentioned the (separate) need for a demonstration of (interoperability among?) at least three implementations in order for ODF 1.2 to be taken to ISO, with it possible that OASIS would sponsor an event for that purpose.
  Dennis commented on the window for cheap airline tickets from North America that is open at the moment and asked about the QA track that is discussed for OOoCon2009.  Louis said the QA track is really about the OO.o code base, toolkits, etc.

3. STATE OF INTEROPERABILITY

Rob has posted another draft.  It does include the Hague plugfest.  More work is needed.  Some thoughts on a model and where to think about interoperability, where interoperability considerations arise.  [I can't recall now if Rob said something like this or it is a note-to-self but I know Rob has discussed a progression along such lines on some thread - dh:]

4. APPLICATION SCENARIOS

4.1 Application Scenario Testing

Bart reported that there is a new Application Scenario Testing draft available.  No comments have been received yet.

Rob suggested that we should remove the procedural content and only deal with what there is to say about our deliverables.  Also, if there is normative content, the document can be taken through to OASIS Standard.  Otherwise, if it is only guidelines and such, it only goes as far as Committee Specification.

In response to the question about who the intended audience of the document is (the TC for itself or for non-TC members to understand), Bart said he wants it to be something that plugfests can use.

Bart requests review and comment on what there is.

4.2 ODF 1.1 INTEROP ISSUES IN JIRA

Bart has added a few interop issues in the OIC JIRA.

There was discussion about what is to be done with these issues and the action items that appear to be implied by them.

Bart will make some notes on how we move from the issue list to results.

5. ROUND TABLE AND FUTURE MEETING PLANNING

Louis mentioned that he is proposing discussion of UOF-ODF harmonization on another forum [ODF Adoption?].  He suggested we might want to discuss this as a topic for ODF profiling.

There is an interoperability concern, especially because the Chinese government is expected to have some strong mandates around UOF support in order for  product to be offered in China.

There was a concern where the expertise would come from to look into UOF harmonization.  Maybe vendors need to step up and figure out how this works before standards are involved.

Louis will create a conversation on how to harmonize ODF-supporting products with any requirement that may come from the Chinese government for support of UOF.

Rob emphasized that if we are to talk about a mapping, we need agreement on what ODF means and on what UOF means.  We should probably clean up our own house first.  Perhaps after we have interoperability well-defined among ODF implementations we can then look at what harmonization with UOF could be.

Louis will take an action item to explore UOF-ODF harmonization with UOF-aware folks.