oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] odf 1.2 part 3, packages, features

I missed the most-important package feature of them all:

0. Packaging Files in Zip Archives.  Profiling of Zip for use in ODF 1.2
Packages, the provision for identifying files (manifest:full-path style),
and the means by which IRIs are used to establish links from one XML file of
a package to another file in that package.

0.5 Package Document Structure.  The structural notions of document and
sub-document as important steps toward the application of ODF 1.2 Packages
for representing ODF documents and other arrangements for which
representation in packages is valuable.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis E. Hamilton [mailto:dennis.hamilton@acm.org]
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/200912/msg00008.html
Sent: Saturday, December 05, 2009 21:06
To: Svante.Schubert@Sun.COM
Cc: oic@lists.oasis-open.org

Svante asks a good question.  I was thinking of the separation between Part
1 and Part 3 and the degree to which it can be kept clean.

Here is more on how that looks to me as I conduct detailed review of the ODF
1.2 Part 3 cd01 Public Review document.

There is an effort to have Packages be useable separately from the rest of
the ODF specification.  That is, the documents and subdocuments in a package
that conforms to ODF 1.2 Part 3 cd01 need not have anything to do with ODF
1.2 apart from being conformant packages.

So I would think that the package-exclusive features are the only ones we
can deal with as features of the package specification.

DETERMINING WHAT PACKAGE-EXCLUSIVE FEATURES ARE

Clearly Package-Exclusive:

Although I think there is still some clean-up needed, the
META-INF/manifest.xml file that is all about the package and not the
document is clearly a feature of the ODF 1.2 package.  Other
package-specific features are the mimetype file.  These are clearly all
about the package and are without prejudice to the sort of documents and
subdocuments there may be in a given package.

1. Files that are excluded from the manifest are presumably part of the
exclusive structure of the package.  Those files are (1) any thumbnail file,
(2) the META-INF/manifest.xml file itself, and (3) any other file whose
full-path name in the package begins with "META-INF/".

[ ... ]