oic message

Subject: FW: [oic] state of interop report cd03 published

A couple of quick clarifications and then some more detailed feedback on the document:

First, my questions in the meeting were simply to better understand what type of document this is and what the intention was.  Second, the question Bart had for me was in reference to what I was guessing were similar types of documents, not to documents that contain info that should be referenced here.  I was asking for more info so that I could make more informed comments.

As a baseline, this document is probably okay.  If the idea is simply to get something out to satisfy the charter, this would fit that.

The content here is the reverse of what I expect from technical reports.  That is, there is a lot of explanation of what interop is and what needs to be considered, but very little detail about the actual state of interop.  Based on other documents I've read - and I get to see a lot as I sit on the Standard Board at AIIM, so am vetting a fair amount of TRs, best practice docs, and other related material - I'd expect to see some explanation  of interop and what was considered, then more specific details on the state of interop today, both the good and the bad.

If the idea is for the document to be a baseline for future reports, one idea would be  to create a structure that will see you through a series of these, in which you can simply modify chunks to represent the change over time.  For instance, in this version, keep the explanations, then cut them back in subsequent versions.  In section 1 for this version, do something like creating a subsection for each "feature" or subcategory title you like that represents a piece of ODF, and give a status on each area, good or bad.   Section 2 could be something like the Priority areas for improvement that you have here, and section 3 could be your Approaches to Improving interop as you have here.  To make that last section more useable for future versions, perhaps adding proposed deadlines for implementation of the improvements or pointers to plans for those improvements.

I'd be happy to help draft language or structure for future versions, especially if they are at least 6 months out.

Cherie

-----Original Message-----
From: robert_weir@us.ibm.com [mailto:robert_weir@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, December 04, 2009 12:00 PM
To: oic@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Re: [oic] state of interop report cd03 published

Hanssens Bart <Bart.Hanssens@fedict.be> wrote on 12/04/2009 12:41:59 PM:

> Now, Cherie mentioned that similar reports (within ISO ? please
> correct
me if
> I'm mistaken) have more details about the actual issues encountered.

Great.  Then let's add a reference to this work, if it is available in public form.  If Cherie has a link to it, she can enter an issue in JIRA for it, so we can track that, along with other public review comments.

Also, remember that this was intended to be a baseline report, outlining our approach and methodology.  That is what it is.  We should get this out and immediately start work on the next version of the report.  I've love Cherie's assistance in drafting the next report, maybe in 6 months.
Remember, our charter calls for a periodic reports.  We've had this on our agenda for over a year now. It is time to move it forward.

-Rob