oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] encryption of signature files

The known plaintext attack I have in mind is like the directory-visibility
one on steroids.  The visibility of the manifest, along with the fact of
encryption, may be very useful in deciding that a given file is a likely
document of interest.  That the files are individually encrypted, all with
the same user-supplied key, is what makes the attack so promising, as in the
case Rob mentions.

The fact that a hash of (part of) the unencrypted but compressed file is
stored with the encryption parameters provides a way to (1) discover whether
there is a known plaintext having the same compressed-file hash to either
completely subvert the encryption or (2) be used to attack the user-supplied
key and thereby decrypt other files in the same package that don't have a
known plaintext.

In the case of the SHA1/1k hash, I'll wager there may be many files lying
around in unencrypted ODF packages that have that same hash for their first
1k of compressed bytes.

This combined with the likelihood that the attacker can take lots of time to
attack a document that is considered prized but not intensely time-sensitive
would make me very nervous about using ODF Package Encryption for anything
very sensitive (not that I have anything like that lying around).

There are steps that an ODF package producer can take to ensure that even
the same XML part in two different packages is unlikely to have the same
initial compression blocks and therefore not have a common SHA1/1k hash.
That's not foolproof because non-XML package files may not be so amenable to
noise injection.

The safest approach I can see, in addition to up-front and periodic noise
injection to raise the entropy of compressed XML files, is to (1) permute
the blocks of the Zip file so that there are no predictable block positions
and (2) encrypt the entire permuted zip, with the permutation information
conveyed along with the encryption parameters in a PKI-encrypted envelope
and wrapper.

The PKI approach is particularly nice when key exchange is not required.
When secure key exchange is required, that's an invariant concern across all
of these approaches.  Having the exchange use a binary cryptographic key
that cannot be attacked the same way as an user-typable plaintext pass
phrase remains an advantage.

 - Dennis