oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] Confused about the purpose of the Interop Profile

Hello Cherie

well, in the charter we have these two activities

4) To define profiles of ODF which will increase interoperability among implementations in the same vertical domain, for example, ODF/A for archiving;
5) To define profiles of ODF which will increase interoperability among implementations in the same horizontal domain, for example ODF Mobile for pervasive devices, or ODF Web for browser-based editors;

Now, while reading the spec itself, and while testing different office suites during the ODF plugfests etc, it became clear
that sometimes the spec is not clear / not complete or a bit too relaxed, and implementers implemented some features
differently.

This can be solved in the next version of ODF, but this could take a while, so the idea is to create a profile for typical
office suite implementations (is that horizontal or vertical or both ? not sure, doesn't matter IMHO), by creating new
conformance clauses on top of the existing clauses of ODF 1.1

The profile won't become an OASIS standard, and of course it does not change the ODF 1.1 spec itself, but at least
some best practices are documented that way (Although perhaps some parts might make it into an ODF 1.1 errata,
some of them might end up in ODF 1.2..)

Best regards

Bart
From: cheriee@exchange.microsoft.com [cheriee@exchange.microsoft.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2010 11:04 PM
To: oic@lists.oasis-open.org

This is probably going to come across as one of those stupid newbie questions, so I'll apologize in advance if that's the case.

I've been reading through the Interop Profile document and I'm not sure I understand what I'm reading. Is it supposed to be a new conformance class for ODF 1.1? I read back through a lot of the email from the summer and fall when this was being worked on, prior to my joining the committee, and read through the charter again and have only become less certain about what the purpose of the document is.

Can someone send me some context so I can provide a better review?

Thank you.

Cherie Ekholm