oic message

Subject: OIC TC 2010-06-30 Meeting Minutes

OIC COORDINATION CALL
Date:  Wednesday 30 June 2010
Time:  13:30 - 14:30 UT

1. LOGISTICS
   ---------

The chat room: <http://webconf.soaphub.org/conf/room/oic>
 (doesn't count for attendance)

The call-in numbers: <http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/200903/msg00017.html>
Meeting agendas also provide the pass codes and the call-in numbers:
<http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/201006/msg00046.html>

The action items (log-in required):
<http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/oic/members/action_items.php>

1.1 ROLL CALL AND QUORUM CHECK
6 of 9 Voting members attended, satisfying the 6 of 9 requirement for a quorum.

    MEMBERS IN ATTENDANCE

    * Bart Hanssens, Fedict (Chair)
      Donald Harbison, IBM
    * Mingfei Jia, IBM
    * Robert Weir, IBM
    * Dennis Hamilton, Individual (Secretary)
    * Cherie Ekholm, Microsoft
    * Andrew Rist, Oracle Corporation
    = Svante Schubert, Oracle Corporation

      [* = Voting Member at start of meeting (6)
       + = becoming Voting Member at conclusion of meeting (0)
       = = Persistent Non-Voting Member (1)]

    MEMBERS ABSENT

      Charles Schulz, Ars Aperta
      Alex Wang, Beijing Sursen International
      Jeremy Allison, Google Inc.
    * Andreas Guelzow, Individual
      Peter Junge, Individual
      Thorsten Zachmann, Individual
      Doug Mahugh, Microsoft
      Eric Patterson, Microsoft
      Alan Clark, Novell
    = Michael Brauer, Oracle Corporation
      Bernd Eilers, Oracle Corporation
    - Daniel Rentz, Oracle Corporation
    * Louis Suarez-Potts, Oracle Corporation
      Tom Rabon, Red Hat
      Jerry Smith, US Department of Defense

      [* = Voting Member at start and end of meeting (2)
       - = Voting Member becoming non-voting Member at end of meeting (1)
       = = Persistent Non-Voting Member (1)]

1.2 ACCEPTANCE OF PREVIOUS MEETING MINUTES

Minutes for the 2010-06-16 Meeting, approved without objection
<http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/201006/msg00042.html>

1.3 ACCEPTANCE OF TODAY'S AGENDA: approved without objection
<http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/201006/msg00046.html>

2. STATUS OF ACTION ITEMS

#0015 Template Scenarios.  Still no progress.

#0026 Test Scenarios: Cherie reports that four Microsoft teams are creating test scenarios and some signed-off tests are being reviewed by Cherie now.  These are expected to be in ample time for the next Plugfest in October.  The tests number in the 100s.

#0033 Best Practices for Document Authors.  No update at this time.

#0034 Interop Demo Videos.  No report.

#0038 Clean OTT specification template.  Still to start.

#0039 Determine the status of Interoperability Profile CDs.  CLOSED, with disposition included on today's agenda.

#0041 (New) Battery of Conformance Assessment Tests.  Rob reviewed that these mini-conformance tests are to provide demonstration of those features that are new or changed in ODF 1.2 so that it is possible to probe what ODF 1.0/1.1 implementations do with them and help ODF 1.2 developers have quick checks on these provisions.
   This is meant to be a small, very lightweight set of tests.  We talked about having a draft set available for Public Review in September, and samples for each feature.
   Also, for OpenFormula, there is a large number of function and operation test cases and we might want to make some large documents that exhibited blocks of tests or maybe all of them, based on the test cases that were identified by the OpenFormula Subcommittee of the ODF TC.  In general, the idea of having single documents that exhibited multiple ODF 1.2 provisions is thought more useful than having a large number of point tests.  Although the use of RDF metadata in some way was suggested in support of these tests, it was observed that this is a new-in 1.2 feature that must itself be tested and it might be easier to document the tests in the test documents themselves, where possible.
   The next steps are to have an outline of the approach and coverage in July.  Dennis and Rob will work it over on the list.

3. STATE OF INTEROPERABILITY REPORT
  Rob submitted a proposal that indicates what was done to make a new candidate for Committee Draft, <http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/201006/msg00049.html>.
  We will conduct a 7-day ballot based on that proposal, to approve the new document as a CD and conduct a 15-day Public Review.  The new document is change-tracked for that purpose.

4. STATE OF INTEROP PROFILES/ADVISORIES

4.1 INTEROP PROFILE CD03
The ballot on CD02-rev02 passed, <http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ballot.php?id=1892>.
  The document will be formatted and archived on the OASIS site as Interoperability Profile 1.0 CD03.

4.2 INTEROP ADVISORY EXAMPLES
<http://wiki.oasis-open.org/oic/InteropAdvisories>
   We are going to continue with these.  We talked about moving from our working-draft iterations to candidates which are stable enough for public comments, announcement that they are available for trial and review, etc.  The final stage might be making them recommendations that are included in a periodic compilation.
   Cherie Ekholm reviewed the workflow and wanted to make sure that anything we found that appeared to be a bug in the ODF specification was reported to the ODF TC.
   It appears that the Wiki is the place where there is an useful guide that can be consulted to find what the advisories are and what their status is.
   We want further observations and remarks along with testing of how this is a practical approach, especially for implementers.

5. ODF 1.2 INTEROPERABILITY DEMONSTRATION PROGRESS
   Don Harbison reported that the Interop Demo team has been convening weekly throughout June, with July 1 the deadline for submission of a proposal to OASIS.  There are currently six participants. Scenario partners are being sought to have real-world context, and that is taking more time.
   Next steps include the technical planning and ensuring that the scenarios are successful.
   The Interop Demo will be on September 2 in Budapest, Hungary.  The event will be co-located with the OO.o 2010 Conference.  OASIS is preparing communications to promote the event.
   There is still time for others to join, but not later than August 12 on the current timeline.

6. ROUND TABLE

  6.1 Rob pointed out that there is, separate from the Interop Demo, an ODF and Interoperability track in the OOo2010 Conference itself.

  6.2 ODF 1.2 CD05 is approved and there is a request to go to Public Review now under review at OASIS.  The target for completion was today, June 30, and we are awaiting announcement of the start of the Public Review.

7. FUTURE MEETING PLANNING

   We will continue our biweekly schedule through the Summer.  The next meeting is scheduled for July 14 at the usual time.

Respectfully submitted,

  Dennis E. Hamilton, OIC TC Secretary