oic message

Subject: OIC TC 2010-09-08 Meeting Minutes

OIC COORDINATION CALL
Date:  Wednesday 8 September 2010
Time:  13:30 - 14:30 UT

1. LOGISTICS
   ---------

The chat room: <http://webconf.soaphub.org/conf/room/oic>
 (doesn't count for attendance)

The call-in numbers: <http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/200903/msg00017.html>
Meeting agendas also provide the pass codes and the call-in numbers:
<http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/201009/msg00002.html>

The action items (log-in required):
<http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/oic/members/action_items.php>

1.1 ROLL CALL AND QUORUM CHECK
8 of 9 Voting members attended, satisfying the 5 of 9 requirement for a quorum.

    MEMBERS IN ATTENDANCE

    * Bart Hanssens, Fedict (Chair)
    * Mingfei Jia, IBM
    * Robert Weir, IBM
    * Andreas Guelzow, Individual
    * Dennis Hamilton, Individual (Secretary)
    * Cherie Ekholm, Microsoft
      Alan Clark, Novell
    * Bernd Eilers, Oracle Corporation
    = Svante Schubert, Oracle Corporation
    * Louis Suarez-Potts, Oracle Corporation

      [* = Voting Member at start of meeting (8)
       + = becoming Voting Member at conclusion of meeting (0)
       = = Persistent Non-Voting Member (1)]

    MEMBERS ABSENT

      Charles Schulz, Ars Aperta
      Alex Wang, Beijing Sursen International
      Jeremy Allison, Google Inc.
    * Donald Harbison, IBM
      Peter Junge, Individual
      Thorsten Zachmann, Individual
      Doug Mahugh, Microsoft
      Eric Patterson, Microsoft
    = Michael Brauer, Oracle Corporation
      Daniel Rentz, Oracle Corporation
      Andrew Rist, Oracle Corporation
      Tom Rabon, Red Hat
      Jerry Smith, US Department of Defense

      [* = Voting Member at start and end of meeting (1)
       - = Voting Member becoming non-voting Member at end of meeting (0)
       = = Persistent Non-Voting Member (1)]

1.2 ACCEPTANCE OF PREVIOUS MEETING MINUTES

Minutes for the 2010-08-25 Meeting, approved without objection
<http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/201009/msg00001.html>

1.3 ACCEPTANCE OF TODAY'S AGENDA: approved without objection
<http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/201009/msg00002.html>

2. STATUS OF ACTION ITEMS

  #0015 Template Scenarios.  No progress.  [New promise is for 2010-11-30]
  #0026 Test Scenarios: Moving along.  Should have good set for Plugfest in October
  #0033 Best Practices for Document Authors.  Work in progress.
  #0034 Interop Demo Videos.  Rob and Louis reported.  A video narrative from the InterOp Demo can be repurposed for this.  Louis will see about obtaining the video for our use.  The ODF Adoption TC is interested in having the video material broken into smaller segments and put on YouTube.  This could be another useful dissemination.
  #0038 Clean OTT specification template.  Still no progress.
  #0041 (New) Battery of Conformance Assessment Tests.  Rob says this needs to start.

3. STATE OF INTEROPERABILITY REPORT e-BALLOT
CD05-rev01 has been uploaded.  We can move it to CD06 after folks have looked it over.  We've said what we want to say and we need to get this one out and start on the 2011 version.
   By unanimous consent, we agreed to initiate a 7-day eBallot to approve CD05-rev01 as CD06 and send it out for public review.

4. INTEROP ADVISORIES
< http://wiki.oasis-open.org/oic/InteropAdvisories>
   #00005 was new at the last meeting and Bart gave us a sketch of the advisory as it stands now.
   There have been no additional advisories.
   We continued the discussion about problems of interop between direct uses of program libraries and how the result might not be consistent when accepted by a full-up editor or viewer.  There may not be cache consistency between markup that is touched by using a tool and other material that is associated with the previous form of that markup or other feature.  There are many places where ODF documents cache content for various reasons.
   Rob suggests that this might be something to do more work on after the October PlugFest and, for himself, he has produced the InterOp Demo report he's responsible for and moved on to the Battery of Conformance Assessment Tests for ODF 1.2 (our action item #0041).

5. STATUS OF ODF EVENTS

5.1 ODF INTEROP DEMO (September, Budapest)
   Rob reported on the Budapest InterOp Demo.  It is an OASIS event and it allows members to contribute and participate.  It is an attraction for new members and members that have not engaged with the ODF TC before now. It is not a technical event like a plugfest.  It is more on the lines of marketing and promotion of what can be done with ODF.
   This InteropDemo highlighted the ODF reliance on other standards: RDF, XForms, and MathML.  There was also demo of multi-modal use, such as screen readers as well as office productivity products.
   The demo of Louvre use of ODF documents as part of their work on their collections was impressive.
   Interchange and confirmation of a digitally-signed document was demonstrated.
   RDF annotation for associating a vCard with a name was used to show how the document, when opened in a mobile application, could have the name highlighted and the link use the vCard to initiate a cellular-service call to the party.
   Rob pointed out that there is now an OASIS requirement for an InterOp Demo before an OASIS Standard can be forwarded to another standards body, such as ISO/IEC JTC1.

5.2 ODF PLUGFEST (October, Brussels)
  <http://www.odfplugfest.be/>
  Bart reported that the event is coming along and there may be a company from Norway also participating.  It looks like they will approach the 75 capacity by the time of the even on October 14-15.  Bart urged everyone to ensure that they confirm attendance as quickly as possible.

6. ROUND TABLE
There are prospects for a 5-year anniversary event for ODF.
   Rob reported that the ODF 1.2 CD05 Public Review had ended on September 6.  There are 23 public comments to process.  The current estimate is that we are 3 months out from achieving OASIS Standard, with the goal being that the ballot as an Oasis Standard be underway by the end of the year.
   Rob suggested it is time to consider what are the priority items to have in an early follow-on, perhaps ODF 1.3.  It was mentioned that Michael Brauer described a railroad-train type of rolling deliveries, with new Committee Drafts every 6 months.

7. FUTURE MEETING PLANNING

The next meeting is on September 22, at the usual time.

Respectfully submitted,

  Dennis E. Hamilton, OIC TC Secretary