oic message

Subject: Google Summer of Code

 On today's call, I mentioned the Google Summer of Code as a possible way of
obtaining student involvement in something to do with OIC/ODF.

Here is the site:
<http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2013>.

GSoC 2013 is kicking off now.  There is an useful FAQ.  Generally, OIC
doesn't qualify as a mentoring organization although it might be qualified
anyhow for test cases under an open-source or open document (i.e., CC By)
license.  The other problem is that the OIC is too small to provide the
required resources.

It is still worth looking at.  It would be interesting if there was more
than one TC that could combine efforts with OASIS as the "mentoring
organization."  I suspect that the timeline is too short to be starting
something like that for the first time at OASIS.

(The Apache Software Foundation does this, with mentoring proposals coming
from their individual projects.  The ASF is an experienced mentoring
organization and participated in 2012 and 2011.  I don't recall whether The
Document Foundation has participated, although I think they may have.)

Wow, the Student stipend is $5000 USD.  I suppose my registration in on-line
Coursera/Udacity courses won't qualify me as a student :(.

 - Dennis

There was also a Google Code-In for teen-agers in 2012.  If there is one
this year it will probably start in November.  In this case, the tasks are
small and do extend to contributions to documentation, quality assurance,
etc.
<http://www.google-melange.com/gci/document/show/gci_program/google/gci2012/
about_page>