oic message

Subject: Advisory 00005: Line-through style/type

This was discussed in the action items for today.  I promised to look at what implementations do.  Here are my observations.

 - Dennis

Looking at the advisory, I notice that it is a Candidate, not just a draft.  It is also indicated that ODF 1.2 Part 1 Section 20.366 fixes this.

I had agreed to check on what implementations do, but that is not particularly necessary.  It looks like the explanations in 20.361 through 20.367 are, taken together, quite comprehensive.

I haven't found an implementation that handles all of these variations (conflicts don't seem to be possible).  In particular, ODF 1.2 appears to allow more cases than implementations offer, and it would be interesting to see what consumers do when encountering cases that the consumer does not produce.

The common case in OpenOffice-lineage implementations is to allow any one of these strikethrough choices:

 (none)
 Single line
 Double line
 Bold (single line)
 With / (no line)
 With X (no line)

I don't know what happens if these are stacked up using different spans over the same text.

The ODF 1.2 specification allows control of color, line choice and boldness separately, along with other characters than '/' and 'X' and also some control over the text beneath a strike-through.  Whether a strike-through includes white space between words is also apparently under automatic control of these producers.

I'd say the advisory can be completed without going into all of this.  There is certainly an opportunity for some interesting test cases though.

 - Dennis