Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Interoperability versus Conformity

Thanks for clarifying Rob.

I think that your comments on the Acid Test are on the mark, though it could be preferable to capture the enthusiasm now rather than stifling/deferring it as (provided we are careful with IPR) this could be specified in the charter and incorporated by the TC. The Acid Test should be an ongoing effort rather than a one-time task, likely linked to audience requirements moreso than spec releases. It should be possible to initially generate a test for common usage scenarios and raise the bar with each test release, with a complete test for the latest version of ODF specified as a TC deliverable in addition to a more rigorous test suite.

The moniker 'Acid Test' presumably stems from litmus test whereby a result is quickly and simply obtained, and I think is important both to demonstrate the purpose and to differentiate from a more rigorous quantititative suite which would appeal to decision makers & third party certification labs. The Acid Test would be more interesting then to end users, media and as a result, vendors.

Accordingly I have set up a separate site where we can capture such contributions and which can outlive this transitive list if need be at:

http://sites.google.com/a/odfiic.org/acid/

Thanks Matthew for putting (virtual) pen to (virtual) paper already over here (published here for those who have not yet requested accounts). Perhaps we can still keep a thread on the topic running on the list.

Finally, perhaps we can demonstrate the TC charter by example (even if there are optional sections missing that we will likely adopt):

OASIS Open Document Format Adoption Technical Committee (ODF Adoption) TC

The original Call For Participation for this TC may be found at http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tc-announce/200602/msg00020.html

The charter for this TC is as follows.

Name

OASIS Open Document Format Adoption Technical Committee (ODF Adoption) TC

Statement of Purpose

The OpenDocument Format for Office Applications (OpenDocument) OASIS Standard defines an XML schema for office applications and its semantics. The schema is suitable for office documents, including text documents, spreadsheets, charts and graphical documents like drawings or presentations, but is not restricted to these kinds of documents. It defines suitable XML structures for office documents and is friendly to transformations using XSLT or similar XML-based tools. There are several commercial and open source applications available based on the OpenDocument Format, with more currently under development.

The purpose of the OASIS OpenDocument Format Adoption Committee is to create awareness and demand for a new class of applications and solutions designed specifically to support and leverage OpenDocument XML. The Adoption Committee will dedicate its energy and resources to create wide scale understanding of the benefits of OpenDocument format support within organizations and governmental bodies through education and promotion. The Adoption Committee will align and support the activities of the OASIS OpenDocument Technical Committee by providing market-based requirements. These requirements will help guide future development of the OpenDocument specification by the OASIS OpenDocument Technical Committee.

By advancing the adoption of OpenDocument within OASIS, the Committee members:

Working together, members of the OASIS OpenDocument Format Adoption Committee will provide expertise and resources to educate the marketplace on the value of the OpenDocument format, increasing the demand for ODF-conforming products, and expanding the OpenDocument community of users, suppliers, and developers.

Scope of work

With the support of OASIS staff and in accordance with the OASIS Media Relations Policy, the Committee will assist in coordinating press and analyst relations such as briefings, releases, and announcements. The ODF Adoption TC will coordinate communications to the OpenDocument community through the OASIS and XML.org websites, collateral, newsletters, webinars, conferences, and other outreach venues.

In cooperation with the OASIS OpenDocument TC, the OASIS OpenDocument Format Adoption Committee may create white papers, FAQs, overview documents, case studies, user scenarios, and other educational materials. The Committee also may establish liaisons in accordance with the OASIS Liaison Policy with other organizations, government agencies, and academic institutes concerned with office applications to broaden awareness of OpenDocument. The Committee may also assist in coordinating the promotional efforts of members relating to OpenDocument, leveraging those activities wherever appropriate. The Committee may work on proof-of-concept demonstrations to showcase how the OpenDocument Format can be integrated with other standards, for example using ODF, XFORMS, UBL and various Web service standards built using specific industry vocabularies, schemas and/or transaction sets.

This Committee will consist of volunteers from member organizations and will conduct teleconferences and occasional face-to-face meetings.

List of Deliverables

Anticipated deliverables with target delivery dates include:

The XML.org OpenDocument Focus Area will be governed by an editorial board to be established by this committee and consist of members of OASIS. Content will include works created by the Committee, links to other third-party works, a wiki where users can contribute to a collection of best practices, forums, and other applications.

IPR Mode

RF on Limited Terms

Anticipated Audience/Users

We anticipate the work of the OASIS OpenDocument Format Adoption TC will be used by a number of groups to learn more about OpenDocument:

Language in which the TC will conduct business.

The TC will conduct its business in English.