Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Acid Tests (was: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Interoperability versus Conformity)

2008/6/12 Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@gmail.com>:

> No one has defined what an acid test is AFAIK?

The phrase comes to us from the Web Standards Project (WSP) acid
tests. In their usage, it's a document that does a comprehensive test
and renders the results visually in a manner that makes failures
immediately obvious to the casual observer.

> I think the chair of this group tried to slip that one past us.

Please assume better faith. (I admit this can at times require one to
grit one's teeth hard enough to break a molar.)

> No such thing as a reference implementation. Not even conformant.

I believe for the WSP tests, Ian Hickson works out what they should
do. This means the tests can contain bugs that need fixing (Acid2 had
a few, Acid3 had a lot). He did work closely with the vendors (at
least Mozilla, Opera and Apple) on the test.

- d.