Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Deliverable: odf-diff?

"Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com> wrote on 06/23/2008 12:04:02 PM:

> Boy am I getting confused.
>
> 2008/6/23  <robert_weir@us.ibm.com>:
>
> > There are really multiple levels here.  We must keep them straight.
> >
> > First there is the feature level.  Some features are optional, some are
> > mandatory.  Every ODF document must be valid to the ODF schema.  This is a
> > mandatory requirement.  But support for spreadsheet formulas is optional.
>

> > Then there is conformance at the level of a feature.  If you implement a
> > particular feature, such as the Zip packaging model, then some things are
> > required and some things are optional.
>
> Please carry on Rob.

Please ask a specific question.  I'm sure you see how unproductive it is to reply to the list with vague questions which cannot be addressed and will only require me to fill the list with even more traffic to get a clarification.

> > We can work within this framework in several ways.  For example, if we
> > define a mobile ODF profile,
>

> Ah ah! No. No such thing (yet) as a profile.

Yes there is.  We've already seen the ISO definition of profiles as well as a definition from Wikipedia.  I've also already given links to several examples of profiles at the W3C.  You should have enough of a mental framework to deal with the use of the word 'profile' by now.

If not, I'd put to the fact that there a dozens of successful profiles in use today that were defined and standardized with no more definition of the term than you have already seen.  Feel free to wordsmith the given definitions in such a way that your definitional concerns are addressed.  I'll appreciate any contributions you have in that area.  But I'm personally not going to chase this down.

> I would really like to hear your version of conformance (assuming we
> are in scope to talk about it) and feature conformance.

It isn't "my version" -- it is the ODF standard's definition of conformance.  The parent note sounded (to me) to be missing the distinction between recommendations (optional requirements of the standard) versus optional features.

A hypothetical example:

"Conforming documents may have an optional widget section.  Conforming documents shall not have more than ten widgets on a widget section.  For portability, conforming applications should not have more than 5 widgets on a widget page."

So here we have an optional feature (a "widget section").  A document is not required to have it, and an application is not required to support it.  But if it is supported, then conformance will require that it have no more than ten widgets per widget section.  If there were 11, then this would be a conformance violation, reported as an error.  Additionally, it is recommended, for portability, that there be no more than 5 widgets on a widget section.  If this limit is violated, it would be reported as a warning, i.e., a violation of a formal recommendation.

> I'm really confused now.

Keep on asking good questions and I'll try to answer them.

-Rob