Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] My perspective. display perferct?

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 10:44 PM, Alexander Wright <alexander@silverfish-design.co.uk> wrote:
On Monday 30 June 2008 17:07:57 Sam Johnston wrote:
> Currently if you need high fidelity (eg a brochure) you will most likely
> manually maintain a PDF alongside the source document (eg DOC). Embedding
> PDF in ODF (or vice versa) to give 'pixel perfect + source' sounds sensible
> to me, and the quality of the 'rendering' will depend on the application
> used to create this compound doc (eg Google Docs vs PageMaker).

I thought about this too.

While it has benefits:
       Pixel perfect,
       Display on devices that can render PDF but can't manage a 'full' ODF document

Would it not unnecessarily bulk out documents?
Does an editor that can edit the ODF but not create the PDF delete the PDF
chunk?

An embedded PDF is like to ODF what a binary is to source code - if you change the source code you must 'recompile' the PDF. Different compilers (read: ODF implementations) will result in different binaries but the result will be (approximately) the same. In any case there is no point (and some dangers) in having the 'source code' diverge from the 'binary' and as such the latter should be dropped or the entire compound document should be read only.

I've mentioned this before, only without the analogy. I've also mentioned the possibility of this being text, image (thumbnail), or some other mime-type.

Sam

--
Sam Johnston
Australian Online Solutions