Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] My perspective. display perferct?

"Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com> wrote on 07/01/2008 10:16:28 AM:

> 2008/7/1  <robert_weir@us.ibm.com>:
> >
> >> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 7:33 AM, Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I think I'm doing a Rob Weir.
> >>
> >> Proposal for consensus: Please respond if you support it.
> >>
> >> "There will be no deliverable addressing the ideas of 'pixel perfect' as
> >> used on this list. "
> >>
> >> Please respond or you'll have one mans version of consensus.
> >>
> >> worksforme (ODF != PDF)
> >>

> > I would not put a restriction in the charter against such a deliverable.
> >  But I'd agree that we have no basis for including in such a deliverable at
> > present.
> >
> > I think we will want the charter will be written broadly enough to cover
> > current and future versions of ODF.  We cannot know what features will be
> > in, say ODF 2.0.
>
> -10
>
> Absolutely disagree. If you want to scope the TC work for the next 123
> versions of ODF, then ..... get IBM to do it.

No one suggested the next 123 versions of ODF.  But I am suggesting, since we have already discussed a web profile as a deliverable of the proposed TC, that the TC's scope at least provide for the likelihood that a web profile would have a more defined rendering model.   The charter should be coherent, and the scope broad enough to cover the deliverables it lists.

> That is not workable at all.
>
> The TC needs something tangible to work with.
> If future versions of ODF change then the TC will need re-chartering to
> cater for that.

We can not recharter to broaden scope.  That would require creating a new TC.  OASIS rules.

Remember, you were suggesting a very tangible restriction, that would have restricted us from following through on someone else's proposed deliverable, namely a web profile.  This is why we need one person to put together a coherent complete draft of the charter, rather than argue back and forth your insular points.

> Otherwise they have an open ended ticket guaranteed  to fail.

So, are you saying that if I don't put in exactly the words that you specify, that we are guaranteed to fail?  Where have I heard that argument before?

> No Rob.
>
> You've seen as big a consensus as we've had (Paul excepted).
>
> If you won't act on that then please say so

As I stated earlier, I will put together a complete, coherent proposed charter and we can take it from there.  I will propose resolution of contradictory proposals at my discretion.  I consider your proposal to contradict the proposal for a ODF web profile.

Consensus is the frosting on the cake, but the rules only require subscription of 5 OASIS members (from three different OASIS member organizations) to create a new TC. If 5 such members agree with my charter, with your charter, with anyone else's charter, then they have the right to move forward with it.

It should be noted that there are far more people arguing on the list than have indicated a willingness to participate on the actual TC.  And there are many people who will be participating on the TC who are currently lurking on the list.  I am mindful of the arithmetic here.

-Rob