Subject: Re: [opendocument-users] simple OO.org document goes awry in MS Office2007 w/SP2 - what went wrong?

Alex,

Alex Brown wrote:
> Are you aware that the odftoolkit.org has special-casing code to ignore certain faults in documents produced by OpenOffice.org? (See for example from lines 55 and 79 at http://is.gd/13dM8 ). The full list of such changes is at http://is.gd/13dYp  .
>
> The Office-o-tron validator is written to carry out a "pure" validation without favouring any particular implementation. You can see the source at:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/officeotron/source/browse/#svn/trunk/src/org/probatron/officeotron
>
> Comments on this are welcome!

Let me jump in as Michael Brauer, owner of the odftoolkit.org validator
is not present this week.

ODF validators must provide the same results regarding well-formedness
and validity, there is no 'pure' validation.
AFAIK there is no test environment for validators either that really
justifies the word 'proven', but I am sure John simply gave his personal
suggestion.

Certainly there is no 'favouring' of any particular implementation in
the validator of odftoolkit.org, otherwise it would be a bug of the
validator.
The fault you are mentioning is not a validity fault (see
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#dt-doctype), but a dead link, which is
'confusing' the underlying/wrapped Multi Schema Validator and would
block the complete validation by looking for a non provided DTD. The
problem of the missing reference (not an ODT issue) is further not
concealed, but given out by the validator when choosing the logging
level 'all'.

I am happy to see that more validators step into the scene, esp. with
different approaches as yours using Schematron, which gives ODF higher
reliability and users a choice.

Kind regards,
Svante