Subject: Re: [opendocument-users] simple OO.org document goes awry in MS Office2007 w/SP2 - what went wrong?

marbux <marbux@gmail.com> wrote on 06/17/2009 02:53:56 PM:

> But wait, how are folks who don't have the budget to flit around the
> globe attending all those plugfests supposed to implement ODF? And
> what about folks who don't even decide to enter the ODF implementation
> market until years from now?

One of the proposal coming out of the plugfest was to move to a "virtual
plugfest" model where implementors can work on interoperability scenarios
on an ongoing basis.  We're all mindful of the high cost of international
travel.  That said, the location of the just-completed plugfest was
central enough to attract participation from many open source ODF
implementations.

> Not. IBM even abstained when the ballot came round on Sun's proposal
> to allow it to trash xml:id metadata. I never saw a single interop
> proposal out of IBM during my time on the TC. I suppose that was
> because IBM never had a single interop failure reported by a customer
> that was related to the spec's under-specification, yes?

Paul, I've organized and run two multi-vendor interop plugfests and
participated in a 3rd.  I created the OASIS ODF Interoperability and
Conformance TC.  I've done quite a lot in this area.  Where you and I
differ is on how to approach interoperability issues.  You seem to think
it is an issue with the standard.  I believe, based on many hours looking
at actual interoperability issues, that in the vast majority of cases it
is a bug in the implementation.  Not always. but most of the time.  Since
resources are not infinite, I am putting the emphasis where I think it
will do the most good.  Of course, others can have their own priorities
and make their own efforts as they see fit.  I'm not hindering anyone from
doing anything.

> Can't take you seriously, Rob. But if you want an interop bug report
> to demonstrate just how devoted you are to getting specification
> interop break points fixed, how about this one:

If you are serious about submitting a defect report, then please submit it
to the office-comment list.

-Rob